Re: about the change of antivirus program

Noel Paton wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 03:21:03 -0700, stranger
<stranger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi
i bought a laptop acer aspire 4930g before six months. it previously contained the mcafee antivirus as the security. so i was ok then. now it is asking me to renew the mcafee. but i want to put avg. i can not put avg without uninstalling the mcafee. now i am having trouble deciding that what should i do. which is the better ? can i remove the preinstalled mcafee for avg ? because i am getting avg for free. will avg do the same job ? may be mcafee was giving the full protection and avg may not give the same? i am using windows vista premium. please tell me that if it is ok to install avg and remove the mcafee for the full internet security.

McAfee came with my 8930g - and was ripped out as soon as I got it
home, and replaced by AVG.
Note - when you uninstall McAfee, use the uninstaller in Programs and
Features, and then run the McAfee cleanup utility to get rid of the
dross that's left behind.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=2057&id=TS100507

Note also - do things in this order
1) download AVG
2) disconnect from the Internet - then reboot
3) uninstall McAfee - then reboot
4) run the cleanup tool - then reboot
5)check that the Windows Firewall is running
6) Install AVG. - use the custom install and refuse the offer to scan
emails (it's not reliable in ANY anti-virus, and tends to cause
connection problems with the email servers - the mails get scanned
when you open them anyhow)
6) At some point in the install, you'll be asked to update the
definitions - connect to the Internet then, and do the updates - then
hit the Back button and redo the scan for updates, and repeat until it
tells you there's no more updates to do - then complete the install,
reboot, and do a full system scan.

HTH

When it comes to uninstalling programs, I've found that the Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) does a great job of uninstalling programs. It not only runs the built-in uninstaller, it searches for left over registry entries and files.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

  • Re: new BIAB---resulting youtube problem... anyone help?
    ... What he said regarding McAfee. ... I liked the older versions of AVG, but I tried AVG 2011 on one of my computers a couple months ago with terrible results. ... If after uninstalling anything McAfee you are still unable to play or see youtube videos but can get to the site, ... Every new machine I get winds up going through about a day of uninstalling everything that was sent with it before I even bother to install my own software. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)