Re: I love Spyware and Adware!

"rive0108" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2fd31ee950f66e893a9c2634c4785059@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Justin;1033242 Wrote:
Running Windows XP my cousin ended up with an infestation of spyware and
adware after AVG ran out and it stopped updating.
I installed AVG 8.5 ran a scan, it disinfected winlogon.exe and then
blue screened.
After a reboot and another scan winlogon.exe was no longer infected but
other files were. It seems to have disinfected them.
The only thing left is a popup that comes up everytime IE is started. I
can't figure out what is causing it. I ran ad aware - it disposed of a
few things but he still gets that popup when IE starts.

What now?

First of all, AVG and Ad-Aware are not very good, and you are probably
dealing with Polymorphic malware.

Example, AVG is recent AV-Comparative testing [feb 2009] only received
1 star certification out of 3 stars.

This is what I suggest you do:

1. download/run a certified 3 star antivirus/antispyware app like NOD32
4, Kaspersky, Symantec, or Mcafee with Artemis.
Avira is free, as is Avast!. Both only received 2 star certification in
regards to On-demand scannning, but they are both better than AVG.

2. download and run Malwarebytes. Real time protection is disabled in
the trial version, so update and use the On-Demand scanner. This App is
specifically geared towards Polymorphic trojans, and is not designed to
be used as a standalone.

You can also download and run a System Inspector self Diagnostic. Green
is ideal, while anything In red is a problem.

If it was me I would do this:
Install the 30 day *Eset* *NOD32 4 Antivirus/Antimalware* (this is the
only program to recieve both a 3 star certification in Hueristic and on
demand scanning from AV-Comparatives) [Nov 08/Feb 09]
then, I would Install and run Malwarebytes, and run a full Scan with
Defender-but I run x64 Ultimate-you would have to download this app.
note- you can remove NOD32 after your system is cleaned. This app has
self defense to prevent Malware Corruption.

Chances are though, you have User/data file and Windows corruption that
only a re-install will fix.

Antivirus Comparative testing:
http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/172321-vista-sp1-antivirus-performance.html

Antimalware/Antivirus scanners:
http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/162362-antivirus-scanners-internet-security-tools.html

--
rive0108

A pity that the Vista64 forum has an add for Uniblue Registry Booster.. I understand that Uniblue pay well for displaying it..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

  • AVG DOWNLOAD
    ... avg anti virus 7.5 free download ...
    (de.rec.sport.fussball)
  • >>>> AVG DOWNLOAD <<<<
    ... 100 free avg antivirus software downloads, 7.0 avg free downloads, 7.5 ... avg free download, all versions avg free download, anti avg cnet ... virus brontok avg download, anti virus download avg, anti virus ...
    (sci.geo.meteorology)
  • ~~> AVG DOWNLOAD <~~
    ... avg free virus scan download ... avg 6 0 free edition download ... avg anti virus free edition download ... avg full version free download ...
    (sci.bio.paleontology)
  • AVG DOWNLOAD
    ... avg free download, avg download, free avg download, avg serial ... download avg free version, avg free download 2009, avg free edition ... avg freed download updates website, avg safe downloads, avg grisoft ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc)
  • Re: Downloader.small virus keeps coming back!!! Please HELP!
    ... | I am having problems removing a Downloader.Small virus. ... | directory no matter how many times I clean it using AVG. ... | 2) Run AVG in SAFE MODE ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)