Re: Windows Firewall and 3rd Party Firewall

Windows Vista Basic sp1.

Im using a 3rd party firewall program. In Administrative Tools---Services
it shows Windows Firewall status as Started. But, in Security Center it
shows my 3rd party firewall being On but Windows Firewall being off.
Also, in Administrative Tools---Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is showing
Windows Firewall being on in Domain Profile. Is this normal?
Why would one show Windows Firewall as On and another show it as Off???

James

Interesting. I have Vista Business SP1 and see the same thing. Apparently running the service is not the same an enabling the firewall. I guess you could turn off the service, however if you uninstall the 3rd party firewall you would have to remember to turn the service back on. 3rd party firewalls are usually smart enough to toggle the Windows firewall off when they install, and back on if they are uninstalled, but obviously the service needs to keep running for that to not require user interaction.

  • Help with security center and firewall
    ... I unistalled my Norton Internet Security and it seems that it took with ... Windows cannot display Windows firewall ... So I then go to the Windows Security Center in the Control Panel. ...
  • Re: Paranoia or something more sinister?
    ... I should add that you want to verify that your current firewall is correctly ... > make sure that auditing of logon events is enabled in Local Security ... >> reinstalls, upgraded Norton Security to 05, I'm operating Service Pack 2 ... Search & Destroy and a Windows Firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SERVICES - Manual Settings
    ... "The Windows Firewall and Security Center should be set to Automatic" ... I Have the Following Startup Type Settings on "Manual" but. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: My Windows Firewall Keeps Turning off!
    ... I turn it on again I get a Security box from McAfee security center ... Then I have to open "Windows Firewall settings" and turn it on again. ...
  • RE: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page
    ... "daviedoug" wrote: ... My wife's is connected via the Network. ... Firewall off and done the installation?. ... I don't know what you mean with windows Firewall, ...