Re: Spyware

I am afraid what Victek and Mike Hall had said this time could not apply to my situation.
Prior to scanning with SuperAntiSpyware, I had done:
1. CCleaner ( I had 4 restore points only 1 day ago ).
2. Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2
3. Avast scan
In that order. SuperAntiSpyware took 4hrs. and 22 min. That's too much.
I'd like to have a free edition for malware protection. Any suggestions ? Thank you.
t-4-2

"Victek" <Victek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1E562471-F4E5-4466-A21A-FE3EF0F24D27@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vista Home Premium 32 bit , SP1.
I have SUPERAntiSpyware, free edition. It takes Forever scanning.
Is there an alternative I can have ?
I also have Avast free edition. Will it do without SuperAntiSpy ? Thank you.
t-4-2

What slows spyware scanning down is the presence of Temporary Internet Files. Use Disk Cleanup to eliminate them first or use SpyBot S&D 1.6.2 which gives you the option to clear them out before it starts to scan..

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
.
In addition you can run Disk Cleanup to get rid of temp files, old System Restore points and Shadow Copies. That will further reduce scan times.

  • Re: Spyware
    ... My SuperAntiSpyware free edition took 4 hours and 22 min. scanning, ... Spybot took about 20 min. at most. ...
  • Re: Spyware
    ... I meant that neither SuperAntispyware free nor MalwareBytes free provide real time protection because they don't scan files in real time...eg when they are downloaded, opened, or closed. ... My SuperAntiSpyware free edition took 4 hours and 22 min. scanning, ...
  • Re: Spyware
    ... On access file scanning is not the only method of real time protection. ... My SuperAntiSpyware free edition took 4 hours and 22 min. ...
  • Re: How do I get rid of an aggressive/relentless pop-up?
    ... I don't have "Program files/Java" so that isn't a ... I am not scanning in Safe ... S&D and SuperAntiSpyware. ... They will tend to catch the non-viral malware. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)