Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection

For me, the method proposed here worked at first attempt.

"Sadie" wrote:

--
Sadie

"Charlie42" wrote:

"Sadie" <Sadie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
and Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider -
Symantec, I see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to
do for the Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed
and working well?

Under the assumption Norton 360 itself reports to be up and running:
There is a general fix that can solve the problem with Vista reporting
malware protection is missing, although it is present. All commands are
typed in at the command prompt, you need to run as administrator:

Method 1:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run the following command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

Method 2:

net stop winmgmt /y
cd %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old

Then reboot the computer.

Charlie42

Appreciate your reply. With my tech skills, I will leave as is for now;
hopefully Norton 360 will improve eventually. Had difficult time removing
Norton Internet Security 2007 to install Norton 360; mission accomplished &
pleased. All things will never be perfect!

  • Re: Windows Security & Norton
    ... This problem can occur with any security software. ... You should try to salvage your repository, or if that does not work; ... All of these commands are typed in manually at a command prompt. ... winmgmt /salvagerepository ...
  • [kde] Re: plasma-desktop (KDE factory) acting up?
    ... Then I configured sudo to allow my ... While it's for security reasons I limit it, ... command I allow the user to sudo run as root, ... Actually, it seems to work very well for me, as it obeys my configuring it ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: After SP2 software will not work; Norton dragging their feet--a lot!
    ... reports of Live Update now downloading the proper fix so the Norton Internet ... Security 2004 is now compatible with SP2, ... Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Some mail opens a blank page
    ... YW, Dan, and thanks again for your valuable feedback. ... Save that download link and Product or User ID for CA Internet Security ... and then run the Removal Tool to rid the machine of all Norton crapware. ...
  • Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
    ... I did have Norton Internet Security 2004 before this. ... I'm not a big fan of these freebie security apps but it's your computer. ... Should you decide to install McAfee Security Center from your ISP, make certain that you uninstall Norton Online Security via Add/Remove Programs and then download/run the Norton Removal ... Can you post a link to your forum thread were you were helped? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)