Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

Thank you for this information

"romieb69" wrote:

Hey guys I found a really crappy workaround for this. This is NOT a
fix, but I've tried a bunch of stuff suggested in this
and other various forums, done hours of research and
tinkering and this is the only solution I've found
that will get Windows Defender to fire up.

Go to Admin Tools, Services.

Locate the WD service (if it's not stopped, stop it).

Change it's startup type to Automatic.

Click the Log On Tab

Select Local System Account and check the box that
says Allow service to interact with desktop

Click the Recovery Tab and ensure that First and
Second failures are set to Restart the Service.

Click Apply

Go to the General Tab again

Click Start

Now go back to Ctrl Pannel and start up Windows
Defender ... should fire up. I checked for updates and
there were none.

Notes: I did a reboot and checked out the service.
It's stuck in a 'stopping' state and of course
WinDefend isn't working. I used the Task Manager
clicked the Services tab and found the service name
that was stuck in the stopping state (WinDefend). I
then right clicked it and chose go to process (make
sure you choose show processes from all users). That
took me to the svchost.exe instance that was hung up.
I ended the process. Now I disabled the service and
rebooted.
Once my reboot was complete I went back to the service
and put it in manual mode (leaving everything else I
changed earlier alone) Tried to start it but it
wouldn't start because no active processes needed the
service. At this point I went back to ctrl panel and
started windows defender. I got the dialog box
indicating it was off and clicked the link to turn it
on. It fired back up. Again checked for updates and
there were none.
So now I reboot leaving the service in manual mode.
I'm back to where I started. Same original error. The
service however is not stuck in a 'stopping' state.
It's just stopped. I was able to start it sucessfully.
and Windows Defender opened up normally when I fired
it back up. VERY VERY WEIRD
A final word on this pain in the a$$ error, I have not
been successful using the Automatic delayed start
option. I get an error indicating that the parameter
isn't correct. Go figure.

--
romieb69

  • Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
    ... that will get Windows Defender to fire up. ... Click the Log On Tab ... I did a reboot and checked out the service. ... that was stuck in the stopping state. ...
  • RE: XP and Defender behaviour (sorry for length)
    ... So far on the final reboot after ... it would be better for you to use the file and settings ... let's forget Safe mode and carry on with the other requests and see ... removed, rebooted, then re-installed Windows Defender? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    ... power fluctuation and both my machines rebooted. ... another power fluctuation caused another reboot. ... clear so I reinstalled Windows Defender to check for spyware. ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: NTVDM problems
    ... I did what you said in your post and I ran the windows defender and found ... "nass" wrote: ... Click on General Tab and you will see a Button called ... On how to disable the Add-ons follow this: ...
  • RE: microsoft defender spyware
    ... question is how do i delete the all the checked boxes, ... Windows defender is a free Anti-malware application from Microsoft!. ... Click on General Tab and you will see a Button called ... On how to disable the Add-ons follow this: ...