Re: KB9554430

After the repair did not work, and I didn't hear back from you, I followed the rest of the article.
I did a remove. But there was no place to just do a install outside of from the regular ms d/l pg.
I took a shot at it, and for now it seems to have worked. I have not run MS Update again, but
before it was just always there. So it seems to have worked. If all stays good for a couple of
days I thank you for all your feedback. If it happens again I shall post again.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#xB9QW5bJHA.4684@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You MUST Clean Boot the system as whatever is holding msxml4.dll in use will not allow it to be replaced unless it's not running.

After running Remove, did you reboot the system ?
If not, do so, then just double click the manually downloaded msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe *after* a Clean Boot to install it.
There should be no other options presented and it *should* install.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

I Also tried last night the Remove option. The update is still showing. Is this a glitch in the way the updates are
being handled on this machine, or is this legitimately the update to try, since it was removed? I am really
confused why clearing this up is such a pain in the neck. I do apprec. your assistance.

"Larry" <larrym6833@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:45E75892-E27A-4624-A5C5-B922F44A8DB4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok so it looks like my attempt to diagram didn't come out so well.
Anyway the update Still shows in Windows Update. (:
If I try remove, what do I do try and run it from Update again,
because I do not see an install option when I run the file.
I figure I'd check before trying.

"Larry" <larrym6833@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4396B7B2-3B90-4D9B-BF06-F634A566D5B3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Under Modify it shows a tree and says to 'click on the icons in the tree before to change the way features will be installed.
Tree looks like: MSXML Parser--
=MSXML (Global Installation)
=MSXML (side by side)
x - XML SDK ( x over icon)
It looks like a couple of pull downs show what it will do in ea. instance. Going to try Repair (since I don't think we want to do anything custom).
Will post in a few results of Repair. Fingers x'ed <g>

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u8S9b5GbJHA.4684@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HNY to you, too. What happens if you choose Modify, Larry ? Does it give you the option of installing msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe ? If not, then choose Repair.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

MowGreen, Just for the check of it I went to try the install. It came up w/3 options. Modify, Repair, remove.
Which do I use, repair? Remove would take it out totally. If I use remove, rerun the install from Update?
I wanted to check w/you before attempting this. Thanks again

"Larry" <larrym6833@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:F5832ED1-043D-4A6B-8983-60EC6EFCB162@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Happy New Yr.
Now, I did the rename w/no prob. What was throwing me off was when you were saying Start Search. I am used to Start > Run > Cmd (or whatever).
Now when I go through the steps of a clean boot I have another item that doesn't match. I went to msconfig.
Under General tab I checked Selective Startup, then unchecked load startup items. Load system services is still checked.
When I go to the Services tab and checked Hide all MS svcs. I can only enable not disable them. I have d/l'ed the file already.
For now I guess I'll just set it back to do a Normal startup. I don't think I missed anything, did I?
I am trying to follow the links you gave me.

Thanks again for all your time.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OmD7ZbBbJHA.5676@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just rename msxml4.dll at the Elevated Command Prompt, Larry. No need to specify anything but that specific file. There is only one copy by that name in system32.

Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator' follow the prompts

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

Ok MowGreen,

Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still unclear on your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
"Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little better. Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files. Rename them all or just the 1 large file?
I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I were a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OqH91BhaJHA.552@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how that is accomplished.
Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download the update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.

Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts.
Reboot after it installs.
Reenable all non - MS services now.
Reboot once more.

Did that get it installed properly ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

MOWGreen,
Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct it. I made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I did the ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3 files w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext 44kb and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that appear to be there more than once.
Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OOm82R5ZJHA.5520@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Larry,

There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator' follow the prompts ]
Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
Download and *save* it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=96a4413c-5261-4f69-83d0-932c430abd14&displaylang=en

Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

*Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts.
Reboot after it installs.
Reenable all non - MS services now.
Reboot once more.

Did that get it installed properly ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l this Security Update.
I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an installed d/l I can remove.
But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much appreciated.

  • Re: KB9554430
    ... "Larry" wrote in message ... rerun the install from Update? ... Now I am still unclear on what to rename. ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: KB9554430
    ... "Larry" wrote in message ... rerun the install from Update? ... Now I am still unclear on what to rename. ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: KB9554430
    ... You MUST Clean Boot the system as whatever is holding msxml4.dll in use will not allow it to be replaced unless it's not running. ... There should be no other options presented and it *should* install. ... "Larry" wrote in message ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: KB9554430
    ... Just for the check of it I went to try the install. ... "Larry" wrote in message ... Now I am still unclear on what to rename. ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: Cannot boot
    ... Set the bios to boot to the XP disk first. ... prompts go to install / repair present install. ...