Can you save a Bitlocker key to a SD Card

Trying to install Bitlocker on my Dell XPS M1530. It doesn't have TPM so
I plan to store the Bitlocker Key on a USB device. Dell Support tells me
my 8 in 1 memory card reader is a USB device. I mention that because I
want to save the Bitlocker Key to an SD Card. Easy to pop in / out and
easy to carry.

Unfortunately, the Bitlocker setup only recognizes a USB thumb drive.
Curiously, I can use an SD card as a ReadyBoost drive but not to store
the Bitlocker key.

Anyone try this or have any suggestions?

Greg

--
glr