Re: XP-VISTA Ultimate upgrade UAC Problem

"Jim" <bojimbo261@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eopqk45h29m27ac4eg9krm84g9p0lka8up@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:56:00 -0500, "Dan" a@xxx wrote:

I have upgraded a XP machine (domain member) to Vista Ultimate (domain
member) and am having problems running system utilities that require
administrate or elevated rights. I think it is an issue with UAC / security.

With UAC enabled many programs in the c:\windows\system32 will not run and
return the "path does not exist" error that I show below when I would be
expecting the UAC prompt.

An example includes: Control Panel -> System -> (under tasks)
Remote settings, System protection, and Advanced system settings all fail
with the following error:

C:\Windows\system32\systempropertiesprotection.exe
The specified path does not exist.
Check the path, and then try again.

If I navigate to the file and double click it, same error. All of the
SystemPropertiesXXXXX exe files fail to run and give the error above.

If I right click on the file and select Run as administrator, I get the UAC
prompt and it works fine.

With UAC disabled all files run correctly.

The Device Manager Task in the System area of control panel works correctly
in all cases (UAC prompt).

Another example is changing the firewall settings: Control Panel -> Security
Center -> Windows Firewall -> Change Settings fails the same way as above
except the file is C:\Windows\system32\firewallSettings.exe

Adding the user to the local administrator's group changes the UAC behavior
as expected (prompt for consent, versus prompt for credentials), but does
not change the problem behavior.

This machine has the full Office 2007 suite installed++ (Visio, Project,
Adobe) and I really don't want to do a clean install. The system is well
behaved in all other areas. This problem is consistent.

I have unloaded the Trend AV solution, disabled the MS firewall, deleted and
recreated the user profile, all with no change in the system behavior.

This problem appears similar to the problem of running programs that require
elevated permissions from a mapped network drive, except this is my local
hard drive. Any ideas on how to fix this without a wipe of the machine?

Thanks!

Before you upgraded , did you find out if your system was compatible ?

I ran the dell and ms upgrade advisor programs before the upgrade and all sw/hw was compatible. There was a minor issue with an audio driver, which I upgraded with a vista driver after the upgrade.

The upgrade process was clean, no errors during the process.

  • Re: UAC changes in Windows 7
    ... A more clever solution for securing the white-list would be to use a prompt (similar to UAC, trusted certificate installation, unsigned driver installation, running downloaded files) whenever a program is appended to this list that would alert the user only once and he/she could be free of unnecessary UAC prompts for the rest of his/her life. ... If the file is updated legitimately the installer would be able to update this hash as well but a malicious software using a security hole may not be able to do that. ... The change we made in Windows 7 default UAC settings is that any operation that is necessary to manage windows will not require an elevation - which in technical terms translates into a white list of trusted action / binaries which the user can make perform without UAC prompting from an elevation. ...
  • Re: Reference Problems Under Windows 7
    ... it seems to me that anyone who turns off UAC who is running as ... doesn't care about security. ... protection by throwing up a prompt to alert them that something's ... But this is no different than your software firewall asking you if ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Is MS being pressured to retract the UAC feature from the next
    ... For many it is a false sense of security, because even if the software is malware UAC will still permit it's installation if told to. ... The prompt itself is not really a security barrier. ... If anything it's less intrusive if you run Vista with an administrator account with UAC on. ...
  • Re: XP-VISTA Ultimate upgrade UAC Problem
    ... administrate or elevated rights. ... I think it is an issue with UAC / security. ... expecting the UAC prompt. ... Another example is changing the firewall settings: Control Panel -> Security ...
  • Re: Vista and D7 Incompatibility Warning
    ... cannot perform the upgrade at all if BDS2006 remains installed. ... Vista and/or it has know problems". ... needs permissions resetting - but I still await confirmation whether ... "User Account Control (UAC) is a feature in Windows that can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)