Re: cant open files from old hard-drive

aaronofyo wrote:

i recently got new computer with vista home premium x64. i attached the
harddrive from my old xp computer (w/external case) so i can get all the
files from it, but when i try to open the files it says i dont have
permission. ive managed to use the security tab to "replace owner and
subcontainers on objects" while changing the owner, for some of the
files (mostly mp3's) but this is very tedious. is there anyway i can
disable the 'owner' from my old computer?

Run this at an elevated Command Prompt:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f [enter]

This will give full rights to all the files and folders on drive C: to the
Administrators group, any member to this group will then have full rights
to the files.

To grant full rights to a specific user issue the command with the user's
name:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g Steve:f [enter]

will grant Steve full rights to all the files and folders on C:. If the
user name has spaces you must surround it with quotation marks:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g "Some User":f [enter]

Obviously you will substitute your desired owner user name on Vista for
"Steve".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: High strength fibers for high pressure tubes.
    ... ***{In such a case, properly, there is no one to sue. ... will be sufficient to indicate denial of permission by the owner ... > Doesn't matter unless I signed away some of my rights when I moved in. ... neutral arbiter, rather than point a gun at you and take the wallet by ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: FEAR the new weapon
    ... duly acknowledged and if copy rights exist they should be respected. ... Do I need permission from the copyright owner beforehand? ... >> Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United ... >> sound recording is not the same as a phonorecord. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Copyright & Fair Use
    ... duly acknowledged and if copy rights exist they should be respected. ... Do I need permission from the copyright owner beforehand? ... >> Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United ... >> sound recording is not the same as a phonorecord. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: OWS Protester Proclaims =?windows-1252?Q?=91The_Jews_Con?= =?windows-1252?Q?trol_Wall_St
    ... I'm saying that the owner of the establishment has the right to ... government and propose a law requiring comfortable seats, ... It is a balancing of individual's rights against other people's. ... to this question - I'm not saying I totally agree with it, ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Ripping to be made legal
    ... In respect of the copy he has made, only the copyright owner had the ... the infringer has clearly 'taken up' or 'taken ... 'Pretending' isn't a word used in the Theft Act. ... assume, ie take up, take over or take on, any of the rights of the owner. ...
    (uk.legal)