Re: Windows Fails to Start Windows Firewall Service

This worked for me:

Go into the registry editor and browse to the following keys. You will
need to set the permissions for the following account NT Service\MpsSvc.
The correct value is below the location path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Epoch

Query Value;Set Value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy

Full Control;Read

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy

Full Control;Read
For the DHCP Client service, the issue may occur if the ?NT
Service\DHCP? account does not have the necessary permissions for the
following keys:

Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp
permission needed: Query value, Create value, Enumerate Subkeys,
Notify, Read Control

Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Configurations
permission needed: Full Control, Read

For the ?Diagnostic Policy Service? service, the issue may occur when
the account Trustedinstaller is missing the permissions for the key
below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters

permission needed: Full Control, Read

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996

Full post can be viewed at:
http://www.jasonross.name/2008/12/windows-vista-firewall/

--
jaross20
jaross20's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jaross20.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: installing games so other users can access and save their game
    ... Okay here's what I've found in the registry looking at the permissions in the ... " or "OWNER" or my account (which is actually the Owner ... Hit a few times and exited the registry and the rebooted. ... below labeled "Change owner to:" it listed 2 names, "Administrators ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: Modifying the Registry
    ... Permissions, other boxes unchecked ... "Will Denny" wrote in message ... Right click on the appropriate setting in the Registry and select ... What have you got enabled for your User Account? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 0x80070005
    ... Also check the permissions in the following registry keys: ... SYSTEM and Admins should have full control. ... If your problem is relating to the Automatic Update Service about not be able to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 0x80070005 in Windows Update
    ... Also check the permissions in the following registry keys: ... SYSTEM and Admins should have full control. ... If your problem is relating to the Automatic Update Service about not be able to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Quickbooks Pro 2002 in limited user account
    ... I am having a simular problem with a photo editing program I purchased, "Corel Paint Shop Pro XI" where it refuses to run properly under a Limited Account & is continually attempting to self-install under the Guest Account. ... It is throwing out error after error in Event Viewer and the Corel technical department claims "registry permissions is not covered under the warranty". ...