Re: Denied permission to access folders

I just tried Jimmy Brush's suggestion and it worked fine, except for the
little error created by the insertion of the sad face in the command
string.

I tried every combination of letters and characters I could think of
until I googled the search string and saw that it should read:

Type: icacls . /grant USER:(OI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q

So, since my user name was owner-pc, the correct string to type in the
command line would be:

icacls . /grant owner-pc:(OI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q

Once I typed in that string, it immediately granted me access to all
the files in the folder.

Another trick is to find your real user name. I always assumed it was
my screen name, but it wasn't. To find your user name in Vista, click on
Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Safety. Then click on
User Accounts again.

You will see your screen name, user type and picture on the far right.
On the far left, you'll see a list of options. Click on Configure
Advanced User Profile Properties and a new window will open showing your
"official" user name. In my case it was Owner-PC.

--
gjgerber

  • TIP #185: Null Handling
    ... nulls, and command modifications for manipulating them. ... Tcl deals with strings, the universal medium for representing data. ... is know and it is an empty string, but if a respondent forgets to give ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Determine how Word was launched
    ... inspect the command line used to launch Word. ... Private Declare Function GetCommandLineA Lib "kernel32" As Long ... Public Function GetCommandLineAs String ... Dim lngCmdLinePtr As Long ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.vba)
  • Re: Class.getMethod in classs static initializer block
    ... I just wanted to add that I had some similar code for a "command line server" project. ... static private final boolean DEBUG = true; ... {public ReturnCode runCommand(String s) ... public ReturnCode parseLine(String line) ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: New "base document" available
    ... How to go about retrieving command line parameters? ... the command line arguments (and environment variables) ... Keyword and positional parameters can be mixed in the same command line. ... clp-name points to a string containing "P1" ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: How about UserRPL command to store "bare" text to SD?
    ... just as with Kermit transfers. ... a string directly to the SD card, verbatim, ... whose function is simply "store this literal string to that file" ... a more basic and universal "store this literal string as a file" command. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)