Re: Can a standard user access the Admin account via Safe Mode?

Hi mgr,

There is confusion as to when the FULL Administrator account is
available in vista.

of course it may be enabled using the NET USER command and will then
appear in the log-in (by default with no password :( ).

In XP when you entered Safe Mode you were automatically logged in as
the FULL administrator this is NOT the default for Vista. If however
there are no administrator accounts set-up in Vista then it is supposed
to revert to the XP system (as a fall-back to prevent lockout). I say
"supposed" as I have seen lockouts where re-install was the only remedy.

As for the first account created by the user in vista this is by
default an administrator account but as far as I am aware this is not
"special" in any way.

This account may be removed, (by another later created administrator or
the FULL administrator account, but not if it's the only account on the
machine), and I believe it may also be downgraded to a standard user
even when it is the only administrator on the system, and this is why
the reversion to XP behaviour was included for safe mode.

Hope this helps ...

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert

  • Re: The final solution
    ... anything said in those emails. ... If the install of vista is on an OEM PC ... You now need to boot the computer into safe mode. ... Using the administrator account you can get to any files you need. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: no administrator account
    ... In Vista, we normally use Control Panel | Programs and Features, highlight the application we want to remove, click Uninstall, and let Vista do the rest. ... (I'm using Win7 now and I don't recall at which point Vista asks for Administrator credentials, even if you are running in an Administrator account, but that is normal behavior for Vista. ... adminstrator, guest which is off, and another one with adminstrator rights, ...
  • RE: VB6 vs Vista
    ... "Lorin" wrote: ... Do I rework te Administrator account to be like my original one and only ... make Vista Windows Explorer show file name extensions? ... (one VB6 app that monitors traffic ...
  • Re: Changed behavior of ::SHFileOperation() in Vista
    ... I created the same paths as you have below via an elevated administrator account and executed shfileoperation without any issues. ... I received the Copy File dialog asking which file I wanted to keep in the destination. ... Most of the time when I am trying to reproduce a bug in SHFileOperation I am using a manual tool I wrote to call the api with the inputted flags/paths. ... I have to say I have been extremely frustrated by the lack of feedback on Vista bug reports, and also by the number of seemingly fundamental bugs that persisted into Vista RC1. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • RE: VB6 vs Vista
    ... Do I rework te Administrator account to be like my original one and only ... OK, so this is a VB newsgroup, but I have had excellent real expert answers ... make Vista Windows Explorer show file name extensions? ... (one VB6 app that monitors traffic ...