Re: Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points

Snowbound wrote:

Have a laptop with Vista64 and have problems installing OpenOffice. The
program errors on on installing a file to
\programdata\microsoft\windows\templates indicating that I do not have
rights to that location. Checked in windows explorer and that location is
showing up as a junction point rather than a real directory. I know that
\ProgramData\Templates is a junction point which points to
\\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates but I can not gain access to
that directory since in Windows explorer it too has a shortcut/junction
point symbol and when I click on it I get an Access Denied error!

Don't worry about junction points. Make sure you are using the latest
version of OO (I believe it is 3.0). Download it and right-click on the
installer and choose "Run as administrator". Now the installer will unpack
to the Desktop (or to the directory to which you downloaded it, perhaps
your Downloads folder). The regular installation will begin after the
unpacking. Since you're running the installation as administrator, you
won't have any problems with permissions. At the end of the installation,
run OO as your regular user. You can delete the installer and the unpacked
files directory now.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Office 2003 VBA Help will not install
    ... Windows Explorer and have them open successfully? ... you may want to use the Windows Installer ... You may also want to post in the MS Word VBA newsgroup ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: Text-based sequence diagrams
    ... It is an executable jar file and must be started via "java -jar ... your JRE using an the installer, you may as well start an executable jar ... file by just double-clicking it in your Windows explorer. ...
    (comp.object)
  • unable to open folders. MS installer freezes the system
    ... Every time I am trying to open a certain folders (in Windows Explorer) that contains ... my solidworks files, microsoft windows installer pop out of nowhere and ... I have no idea what MS installer is trying to install as I do not request its service when opening a folder. ...
  • Re: Office 2003 Installer / Patches
    ... I dived into Windows Explorer to have a look. ... folders totalling 40+GB. ... The whole hard disc has usable space of 70GB so ... The files in it are mainly Windows Installer ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: viewing thumbnails kills explorer
    ... >There is BHO Demon. ... Stay away from the installer ... >version just get the bare zip. ... >Windows Explorer) where xml files can cause this. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)