Re: Vista advertising SD card content?

Gareth wrote:

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:50F9E9C6-6CEC-4A92-9125-3301DCD905C2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Disallow Autorun.
And you are plugging in a Card READER, lol.

Other users can enable Autorun and plug in *my* card reader.

If you're so concerned for your privacy, why have you granted other administrative privileges to your computer, and why are *you* leaving *your* card reader and *your* SD card unsecured?

The point is Vista is looking at the file types on the card - there's no way (is there?) of disallowing non user prompted access to the SD card.

You've been told how.

This didn't happen with XP or Win 9X.

It did if one had the proper drivers installed and auto-play enabled.

It's worrying.

What's really worrying is that you're expecting the OS to protect you from your own sloppy habits of leaving things lying about where curious minds can find them. Software can't protect you from yourself.

If the contents of the SD card are so very sensitive, simply put it out of others reach.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

  • Re: How can I create devices for a new tape drive in Solaris 10
    ... The first gave a hardware path that was a PCI device, ... PI card, and the Ultra 40 only has 32 bit PCI slots. ... "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Drive errors?
    ... My TV-capture card even froze my PC ... IDE places used, and 2 more on an add in IDE card, as well as 2 SCSO ... "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Any Way To Access Serial Numbers?
    ... Unless nVidia provided a utility for that purpose, no. You'll have to open the PC and look at the video card. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: PCMCIA network card
    ... > I also know that I had a somewhat kludged install at the time. ... It's an Orinoco Gold card. ... little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: USB flash drive problem
    ... >>> little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ... >> After I inserted CF on the multi card reader, dmesg gave this log. ...
    (Debian-User)