Re: Please help, no administrator access!

Nicholas Hanson wrote:

I was led to believe that if you remove your user account from the
Administrators group UAC would prompt you when Administrator rights were
needed and you could supply the Administrator password to do what you
like. In XP when you move your user account out of the Administrators
group (I ran as a Power User in XP) it would automatically activate the
built-in
Administrator account. In Vista this does not seem to occur and so when I
removed my account from the Administrators group the only account
remaining
is the still-disabled Administrator account. With no admin rights I can't
add myself back to that group, I can't enable the Administrator account,
etc.
When I try to do something that requires admin rights UAC gives me a
dialog to enter the password for an Administrator but that dialog is
sometimes blank and sometimes contains my regular user account (I've not
determined a
pattern yet). When it does contain my regular user account if I enter my
password it goes away as if it accepted it but the action does NOT execute
with administrator rights.
I'm at a loss of what to do at this point., any help would be greatly
appreciated.

As you have discovered, the built-in Administrator account is disabled by
default in Vista. When you get out of this situation, create a Standard
user for your daily work and at least one extra administrator user - call
it CompAdmin or Tech or the like - for elevation and emergencies. In the
meantime, you can try MVP Jimmy Brush's method of recovery.

Tutorial and fix -
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administration/locked_out_of_admin.aspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... I created a new user on the XP box, set as an administrator ... this new user account is local to the XP system, ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log ... member of the local administrators group on the server. ...
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the local administrator's group on that workstation. ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account, run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group on the server. ... In addition, I frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be copied between those applications and anything running under the credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just not through my regular account's view of that workstation. ...
  • Re: Windows Service - Event Log
    ... I didn't say the Administrator account. ... Administrators group on the local machine." ... I didn't advocate using a member of the Administrator's group; ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...