Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta

Hello,

That's an excellent question.

The scenarios are different depending on whether you are logged in as a standard user or an administrator.

When logged in as a standard user, when you elevate you are logging in with the credentials you supply to the elevation prompt and the elevated program is running under those credentials. So, there are actually 2 SIDs involved and things work as you described.

Things get tricky when you are logged in as an administrator. In this case, you only have one SID, but you get 2 tokens with different privileges when you log in. The tricky part is that in the restricted token, your group membership in the administrators group is set to only be considered for deny permissions.

So, the following scenario could happen:

- You are logged in as an admin
- You are running a program that is not elevated that wants to change the permissions on a file
- You are not granted access to the file in any permission
- The administrators group owns the file

You would not be able to use the non-elevated program to change the permissions on the file, becase your membership in the administrators group is being ignored when the system is deciding if you should be able to have read/change acl access to the file by virtue of being the owner.

Of course, this scenario probably wouldn't happen in real life... the program should know to throw a UAC prompt to get elevated.

In addition, there is also the concept of integrity levels. Most non-elevated processes are assigned medium integrity, while an elevated process is assigned high integrity. Every file is assigned an integrity level.

A process can only write to a file that has an equal or lower integity level than the process, regardless of what permissions are set or who the owner is.

So, an un-elevated process (medium integrity) could not write to or change the permissions on a file that has high integrity, even if your SID had full control of the file and was the owner.

(There are no files by default that have high integrity).

- JB

"FromTheRafters" <erratic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u3YSsJ9LJHA.276@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" <toylet.toylet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%235UxUA0LJHA.5660@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Under Vi$ta:
First, I removed all accounts that could access folder X. Then I let user Y to take control of the folder, including subfolders. I only want Vi$ta's user Y to access that folder.

Was user Y elevated when you took ownership?

I've been wanting to ask the experts in this group about this
for awhile anyway, so here it goes.

When an SID is created by a limited user with an admin token
(elevated standard account) is the "owner" field different than
it would be without the admin token? In other words, is it only
possible to be accepted as the "owner" if you are attempting
access as that same user again also elevated?

Then I boot back into XP:
XP's Administrator as well as user could no longer access folder X, unless I let XP's Admin to take control of folder X. But if I did that, when I booted back into Vi$ta, Vi$ta's user Y could no longer access folder X.

Have you tried elevating Vista's Y user when attempting access of
folder X? Not because it needs elevated privileges, but because it
needs "owner" to match the SID - just in case the split token is what
is causing this confusion. Thereafter you should be able to allow any
standard user account you want to assume ownership.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but maybe you would have better luck
in the micro$oft.pubic.windoze.vi$ta.insecurity newsgroup.

  • Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
    ... When logged in as a standard user, when you elevate you are logging in with the credentials you supply to the elevation prompt and the elevated program is running under those credentials. ... Most non-elevated processes are assigned medium integrity, while an elevated process is assigned high integrity. ... Then I let user Y to take control of the folder, ... When an SID is created by a limited user with an admin token ...
  • Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
    ... When logged in as a standard user, when you elevate you are logging in with the credentials you supply to the elevation prompt and the elevated program is running under those credentials. ... You would not be able to use the non-elevated program to change the permissions on the file, becase your membership in the administrators group is being ignored when the system is deciding if you should be able to have read/change acl access to the file by virtue of being the owner. ... Most non-elevated processes are assigned medium integrity, while an elevated process is assigned high integrity. ... Then I let user Y to take control of the folder, ...
  • Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
    ... When logged in as a standard user, when you elevate you are logging in ... to have read/change acl access to the file by virtue of being the owner. ... there is also the concept of integrity levels. ... I removed all accounts that could access folder X. ...
  • Re: User Account Suddenly Unaccessable
    ... me that only the Administrator has access to the CWLee profile folder. ... The Sharing tab has "Do not share this folder" checked, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: User Account Suddenly Unaccessable
    ... As I started to type the second command, ... I get two error messages. ... Contact your network administrator. ... It tells me that only the Administrator has access to the CWLee profile folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)