Re: Scheduler works then quits. Wants password AGAIN--why??

Did it again.  I am just about ready to drop UAC.  I have to go in and
re-enter my user name and password- Hide quoted text -

Well, after just one too many times getting the access denied when I
dropped a URL on the links bar (of all the damn things) and having the
scheduler somehow determining that I need to enter my password again,
I turned the UAC off. I did not like to do it, but regardless of the
support I hear for it, it is flawed. MS needs to make the UAC work
consistently the same way and in an intuitive way. The last thing I
am interested in is to try to second guess a non-intuitive security
system that is obviously not working in a consist manner. I have been
in engineering for 40 years and I know when I recognize something that
is not working properly or consistently.

Windows Vista has MANY VERY NICE FEATURES. I really appreciate the
areas that have been improved.

But...While we are at it and I am venting. There are 4 things that
need to be fixed in Windows Vista:

1. The security system so that even a simple minded person can
understand how it works (no comment please, all you security
infatuated people out there).

2. The ability to transfer a person's environment from an old
computer with an old operating system to a new environment with a new
operating system EASILY. REPEAT.... EASILY. REPEAT... EASILY.
MICROSOFT... DO YOU HEAR??? EASILY!!!!
I don't mean the "easy transfer" or "PC Mover" that make you have to
know extensively about how to shut down every security program and
firewall on both systems or they crash with devastating consequences.
(By the way. This is NOT a request. It is a warning. The lack of
having something like this is a hidden cost to Microsoft that they
MUST NOT EVEN HAVE A CLUE ABOUT. I put off upgrading to a new PC for
about 2 1/2 to 3 years just so I don't have to go through one or two
months of hell. I put together a 36 or so step procedure to perform
the transfer. If anyone doubts that it takes this, then email me and
I will send the procedure to you. If all you do is surf the internet
and write a few letters, then I am not talking to you. I am a power
user. USER, not an IT person--USER.

3. Here is a tough one, but the most important. The operating system
should not get in the way of a person working no matter what.
a. New features need to be introduced in a way that do not get in the
way of a person working. I don't want to spend 15 to 20 minutes
looking around for a feature that I have used for 20 years (Yes,
possibly before Windows. Windows made it easier than DOS because it
was intuitive). The new Word layout is improved, but it is not viewed
that way if I am trying to accomplish something and it gets in my way.
b. Operating system and application updates coming up and requesting
installation when I launch an application to do work ARE NOT
APPRECIATED AT ALL. Hear? NOT APPRECIATED AT ALL!!! Do them at the
end of the day, when I am off the machine and according to some
procedure that I have agreed to. (Always, when agreed to (put in a
list of to do's that I can review when I damn well see fit) or NEVER)
Don't bug me when I am doing my work.

4. Here is a trivial one but one that really P*SSes me off! Only
scroll a frame/window with the scroll wheel where my mouse arrow is
over the window. In other words, only where I mouseover. Some
applications have it right. Every one of them should have this
right.

  • Re: Iran Fights Malware Attacking Computers
    ... Microsoft isn't just a foot-note in the history books someday. ... would be a hardware, or a securely read-only, operating system. ... We can't get that done until things settle down, but Windows ... for tolerating the cowboy/cavalier attitude towards security. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Server 2008: You dont currently have permission to access thisfolder
    ... Meinolf Weber wrote: ... Windows Server 2008, the user is assigned two separate access tokens. ... All other admins are prompted with UAC. ... security settings, local policies, security options, "User account ...
  • Re: Server 2008: You dont currently have permission to access thisfolder
    ... Windows Server 2008, the user is assigned two separate access tokens. ... All other admins are prompted with UAC. ... security settings, local policies, security options, "User account ... However I am a member of Domain Admins. ...
  • RE: Internet explorer - internet options - no security tab
    ... See if you have set Local policy (in Windows 2000/XP) at ... This solution involves modifying Registry. ... "Security_Options_Edit" which prevents users from changing security zone ... Depending on your operating system it is found in ...\Windows System or ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak)
  • Re: Problem installing KB923980
    ... Why do you think system security is not part of the OS? ... Security Guidance for Windows XP ... features *included* in the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. ... it can be resolve if we rename nwapi32.dll and then manually install KB923980. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)