Re: KB953838 won't install in Vista

pooch;852393 Wrote:
SIW2;852235 Wrote:
Russ;852179 Wrote:
I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm
running
Vista Home Premium and this update will not install.

I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the
Gateway
discs and then updated Vista with everything I could (including SP1)
before
thing that
wouldn't install. It keeps popping up and trying to install, but it
won't.
It gets to 11% and then bombs with the very descriptive message "Code
80073715 Window Update encountered an unknown error." I've even
tried
downloading the update from Microsoft as a standalone package but
either I
got the wrong hotfix, or it still doesn't work as it tells me the
hotfix
doesn't apply to my system.

Someone please confirm that I need this update, or if not, tell me how
get my machine to ignore it. I clear the checkbox on the update, but
it just
sits there in the system tray, taunting me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.> > > >

Hi Russ

I have just done a lot or research into this one and not come up
with any concrete answers,

The answers that I have found however are;

1. Try downloading this update again and instaling it manually you
need to select the right update for your architecture.

'Download details: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
7 in Windows Vista (KB953838)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=13CBA012-DD20-48F9-8E44-E4CB104C4CAD&displaylang=en)
_*For_32bit_version_of_vista

*_'Download details: Cumulative Security Update for Internet
Explorer 7 in Windows Vista x64 Edition (KB953838)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=EAD919C2-D548-47B7-9CD6-80F991266428&displaylang=en)_*For_64_bit_Version_of_Vista**Ensure_that_antivirus_and_firewall_are_not_running_for_the_install*_

2. If the above doesn't work and I am a bit sceptical about this
one, but it will do no harm to try it and it has apparently worked
for others, first empty the explorer cache and then uninstall the
last update; Control Panel - Programs - Show installed updates.
Then try to install *KB953838*manually again if it installs dont
forget to auto update the uninstalled update, and re-enable
antivirus and firewall.

lastly if this works (or not) it would be nice if you could let me
know

Pooch> >

Hi Pooch,

Any idea why I haven't been offered this update?

Thanks

SW2

--
SIW2

  • Re: clubbing of windows vista and windows server2008 in a single boota
    ... I am not sure if you can go clubbing with Vista or Windows 2008 ... rather than being an 'installer', ... John Pritchard how it all works and got some surprising answers. ... Imaging (.WIM) file, which is basically our operating system folders ...
  • clubbing of windows vista and windows server2008 in a single boota
    ... i want to club the windows vista and windows server 2008 in a single bootable ... Vista DVD? ... can you build a custom Vista install DVD that doesn’t ... John Pritchard how it all works and got some surprising answers. ...
  • Re: Format again
    ... specs to see if it can handle Vista. ... and I want to reformat my hard disk and re-install Windows XP ... and update it with a Vista upgrade which my good lady brought ... Instead of performing a clean install of XP, ...
  • RE: "Page Cannot Be Displayed"
    ... What finally did fix the problem was downloading and installed the ... > install Zone Alarm Pro and Norton Antivirus. ... > Since this change in can no longer sign in to ebay and a few other sites. ... Enable all setting in explorer suggected by ebay ...
  • Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
    ... "How to Clean Install Windows Vista with Upgrade Media ... When I began inquiring into various Windows Vista installation options late last year, Microsoft and its representative grew quiet and seemed to begin selectively answering my questions. ...