Re: Installation problem - non-admin users

"Gaurav" <Gaurav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3212C2EC-3A0E-4DD9-806C-40B39D4E00E4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess I am facing an administrative privileges issue with Vista. I have a
custom application which is sent out to the users as an .msi file. I am not
able to install this .msi file on Vista for non – admin users.

I get the following error
Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this
directory: <Folder Path>. The installation cannot continue.
Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

Also the setup tries to add some dlls in system32 folder, and another follow
on error that I get is:
Error 1304: "Error writing to file [file name] verify that you have access
to that directory"

When I right click on the setup.msi, there is no option of “Run as

Any ideas on whatz going on? How do we let a non-admin user install the
setup on Windows Vista?

Tell the recipients to right click the MSI file and choose Run as Administrator.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Error 0x800A0046 when I try to install Microsoft Update.
    ... I am just one of many thousands that DO NOT like the Vista inteface. ... "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer" ... I tried to install "Microsoft Update so I ... | your system administrator to see if your Microsoft Update settings are ...
  • Re: I bought a new computer yesterday... it came with VISTA !!
    ... >> administrator" and then click Continue. ... Vista tries to elevate setup files automatically, ... Applications like the latest Firefox are designed to be installed without full administrative priviliges so one like yourself with a very limited knowledge of Vista can install them. ...
  • Re: Running software as an Administrator
    ... the Autorun feature was used to install the software. ... Run in a Separate Memory Space was highlighted, but both options (Run as Administrator being the other option) were grayed out. ... I am the sole user of my computer, running on a Vista 32-bit platform. ...
  • Re: multi-user system
    ... I am the only Administrator. ... As the Administrator, you have to install the program and make it available to all users (this will be an option of the installation routine, if the program is truly designed for, and compatible with, Vista). ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
  • Re: Error 8007000B
    ... smart on the pc i go into start b ut i cant find run as Administrator so i ... If it is windows vista and you are seeing this error when trying to install ... Open an Administrator command prompt by right clicking on Start -> All ...