Installation problem - non-admin users

Hello,

I guess I am facing an administrative privileges issue with Vista. I have a
custom application which is sent out to the users as an .msi file. I am not
able to install this .msi file on Vista for non – admin users.

I get the following error
Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this
directory: <Folder Path>. The installation cannot continue.
Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

Also the setup tries to add some dlls in system32 folder, and another follow
on error that I get is:
Error 1304: "Error writing to file [file name] verify that you have access
to that directory"

When I right click on the setup.msi, there is no option of “Run as
administrator”.

Any ideas on whatz going on? How do we let a non-admin user install the
setup on Windows Vista?

  • Re: Error 0x800A0046 when I try to install Microsoft Update.
    ... I am just one of many thousands that DO NOT like the Vista inteface. ... "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer" ... I tried to install "Microsoft Update so I ... | your system administrator to see if your Microsoft Update settings are ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Running software as an Administrator
    ... the Autorun feature was used to install the software. ... Run in a Separate Memory Space was highlighted, but both options (Run as Administrator being the other option) were grayed out. ... I am the sole user of my computer, running on a Vista 32-bit platform. ...
  • Re: I bought a new computer yesterday... it came with VISTA !!
    ... >> administrator" and then click Continue. ... Vista tries to elevate setup files automatically, ... Applications like the latest Firefox are designed to be installed without full administrative priviliges so one like yourself with a very limited knowledge of Vista can install them. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: multi-user system
    ... I am the only Administrator. ... As the Administrator, you have to install the program and make it available to all users (this will be an option of the installation routine, if the program is truly designed for, and compatible with, Vista). ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
  • Re: I bought a new computer yesterday... it came with VISTA !!
    ... very limited knowledge of Vista can install them. ... Windows only gives you the default priviledges of the user account you are ... And in Windows Vista even an admin account does not assign full ... Firefox, double-click it (do NOT pick "Run as Administrator), and wait ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)