Re: UAC security hole?

Steve Thackery;847441 Wrote:
The following article:

'IT Dojo | TechRepublic.com'
(http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?cat=3)

....shows a way of running UAC-restricted programs without a UAC
prompt.
Basically, you create the restricted program as a task in Task
Scheduler,
set it to "Run with highest privileges", and then create a shortcut to
the
task.

From then on you can run the program without the UAC prompt.

Regardless of what you think about UAC, doesn't this sound like a
fairly
serious security breach? Bearing in mind that Microsoft have made a
software tool available for UAC-enabling old applications on a
case-by-case
basis, it sounds like they didn't realise you could do it much more
simply
using Task Manager.

I can imagine malware might be able to set up a new task in Task
Manager,
with the highest privileges, and run hostile code without the user
being
prompted.

I'm no expert on Vista's security mechanisms, but do you guys think
this
could be a security hole? Do you expect Microsoft to plug this
particular
"feature"?

SteveT

Hi Steve,

As the UAC operates on task scheduler anyway I think the hole is
plugged. the method you mention is a way for an admin to provide access
to UAC controled apps to a standard user without providing a password.
you still have to go through the UAC to set it up.

hope this clarifies

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
.