Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:mrhhd4t20jo5uk1u2ar85ug9n6mpmiua2a@xxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:22:28 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:23:42 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dave T." <davey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Alas, 'tis the same for me. I use T-bird, but regardless of what reader
use the news server is provided to me through my ISP, and a log on is
required to access it. They don't want to give the news server for free,
it is only for subscribers.

Interesting. In the UK, if you are accessing the internet through a
particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes
you ARE a subscriber, and thus does not require a separate log-in for the
news server....way to go USA!

Umm... Gordon, old boy: In the USA, most always-on broadband
connections don't require a log-in.

I think you'll find, even in the Colonies, that the Router set-up will
contain a User name and Password - how otherwise would the ISP control who
uses it's services?

??

We use MODEMS, not routers.

In the case of cable broadband, the node is activated for access or it
isn't. As for DSL... same thing, but it's the phone connection at the
switching station's end.

NO log-in credentials required.

Routers are used only when one wants to share a connection with
multiple computers. Still, no log-in is required by the computer
connected to the modem.

<sigh> - the setup for the MODEM (or whatever you call it) will have in it a Username and Password - no you don't need to type those in every time you access the internet but I can assure you they are there....The account you have with your ISP WILL have a Username and Password associated with it...

  • Re: OT: Need Agent Newsreader Help!
    ... I can't seem to access the newsgroups via Agent with a LAN system. ... It's a fixed wireless connection, antenna on roof with wire to ... You are lucky if your new ISP *has* a news server. ...
    (rec.equestrian)
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... They don't want to give the news server for free, ... particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes ... but it's the phone connection at the ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... use the news server is provided to me through my ISP, and a log on is required to access it. ... They don't want to give the news server for free, it is only for subscribers. ... In the UK, if you are accessing the internet through a particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes you ARE a subscriber, and thus does not require a separate log-in for the news server....way to go USA! ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... They don't want to give the news server for free, ... it is only for subscribers. ... particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes ...
  • Re: GMT Monday 17th October 11
    ... but many of the mobile phone providers have them. ... That depends on your ISP and how your software is set up. ... laptop and that works wherever and however I get my Internet connection. ... this depends on which news server you use and how your software ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)