Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2oc9d4do3mrthdt4jh1949cv209oeb2599@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:23:42 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dave T." <davey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Alas, 'tis the same for me. I use T-bird, but regardless of what reader I
use the news server is provided to me through my ISP, and a log on is
required to access it. They don't want to give the news server for free,
it is only for subscribers.

Interesting. In the UK, if you are accessing the internet through a
particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes
you ARE a subscriber, and thus does not require a separate log-in for the
news server....way to go USA!

Umm... Gordon, old boy: In the USA, most always-on broadband
connections don't require a log-in.

I think you'll find, even in the Colonies, that the Router set-up will contain a User name and Password - how otherwise would the ISP control who uses it's services?

  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... They don't want to give the news server for free, ... particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes ... but it's the phone connection at the ...
  • Re: Newsreaders
    ... Some ISPs might not give their customers a free news server. ... newsgroups that I wanted to read that were available on Bellsouth's news ... read/post from/to the newsgroups allowed by your ISP - if you are using ... ISP providers DO NOT focus attention on newsgroups. ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: OT - P2P
    ... Most people will send such logs to /dev/null after a few days. ... There are many legal P2P downloads available, ... the ISP is responsible for them. ... Oh, BTW, sorry, but monitoring news server use is exactly the same as web ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3
    ... I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), ... If I get netscape as my ISP could I use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T. ... Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news server in OE accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)