Re: Windows security Alerts

MowGreen,

Thank you so much!
That did it. I followed your instruction and it fixed the problem. It looked like my Windows Defender didn't have the most updated version. But the auto update function is set to be on, it should check for the updates everyday. Does that mean, from now on, I need to check and update the Windows Defender manually once for a while?

Wayne S

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23qmUwRPHJHA.3736@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

Go to the above page and download the latest defs from the links under
' Latest Definition Updates ' and *save* it.
Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
Now install the downloaded defs by running mpas-fe.exe [32-bit, x86 versions of Vista].
Did that get the defs installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

WaynwS wrote:

I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 installed. A couple of days ago, the Windows security Alerts is on and Windows Security Center showed Windows Defender is out of date. but after manual update, I received a message: "There are no new definitions available to download for Windows." In Windows Defender, it states Real-time protection is on and Definition version is 1.43.73.0 created on 9/4/2008.
I have tried someone's solution that posted in here by running verify repository, but after I run winmgmt / verifyrepository, system responded "WMI repository is consistent". So should I still run winmgmt /salvagerepository at this point? Is there other way can fix this problem? I had tried to search on the Microsoft website for answer with no success. Could anybody help?

Wayne S

  • Re: Windows security Alerts
    ... I'm fairly certain that an automatic update for WD's defs will come out either today or, tomorrow but at least by Friday. ... Manually installing defs sometimes resolves that issue. ... 3rd party security software can sometimes impede the proper download and installation of said defs. ... Does that mean, from now on, I need to check and update the Windows Defender manually once for a while? ...
  • Re: MSN Virus
    ... | My computer has been infected by a virus spreading around by MSN ... Windows Defender detects it at startup ... I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Explorer Window Hangs / Process doesnt end
    ... then run HiJackThis and post ... This may be caused by spyware/malware that's gotten installed on ... Windows Defender and/or Spybot Search & Destroy ... Also download a winsock repair tool, to have just in case cleaning up ...
  • Re: malicious software removal tool
    ... do a system restore to get them back. ... Distribution Service 3.0'. ... have accepted an EULA to download and run something called Malicious Software ... Yesterday however I did download a Windows Defender ...
  • Re: KB915597
    ... downloading updates at least as far as updates for Windows Defender is concerned. ... It is not much of a problem because I think that Windows Defender is not really that great but, it is free and probably does no harm. ... [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates] ... to 'Download Approval' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)