Re: Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA

On Sep 22, 9:24 am, Paul Montgumdrop <P...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ian.tiesd...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi

i have an excel workbook that opens an msquery to a SQL database in
auto_open macro.  This is made available via Sharepoint to our users,
the problem is running it on a Vista PC.  Tt work fine with the many
XP pc's in the company, unfortunately the CEO has Vista and it
doesn't
work (the trusted location is set in Excel)

i get the following errors

connection failed
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error:5
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
(Connect())
Connection failed
SQLState: '08001'
SQLServer Error 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not
exist
or access denied

it does exist and is error free because i tried the worksheet before
during and after tryng it on Vista

Any ideas  / pointers would be much appreciated

I would say the Excel.exe is not running with Run As Administrator to
give it the needed privileges on Vista during a privileged escalation
process.

1) set the exe to run with Run As Administrator
2) turn UAC off
3) use the Super Administrator account on Vista to give the Admin full
rights, like it would have on XP when a Admin\user is running an
application on XP, look it up use Google.- Hide quoted text -

Many thanks for your speedy reply - i'll have a look at this (its the
only Vista desktop in the building but it is the CEO's)

  • Vista "complaints"
    ... Recent misconceptions about Vista and UAC posted to the Focus-Apple group, ... administrator, and combined with the many configuration options Vista ... that Win XP gave her the ability to add permissions to her normal ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Vista "complaints"
    ... Recent misconceptions about Vista and UAC posted to the Focus-Apple group, ... administrator, and combined with the many configuration options Vista ... run an installation file need to do so in admin mode. ... that Win XP gave her the ability to add permissions to her normal ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: 2003 Repair / Compact Problem
    ... I managed to compact/repair and build an ADE without incident several times ... Administrator" should have any impact. ... Currently I have Windows Vista UAC turned off, therefore not sure, without ... repair & compact my 2003 .adp files. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Installation problem - non-admin users
    ... I guess I am facing an administrative privileges issue with Vista. ... Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator. ... The user is going to be asked to give a user-id and psw to an user/admin account. ... The user account for the non-user admin in not an account that has full rights on System32. ...
  • Re: 2003 Repair / Compact Problem
    ... Administrator", or to always "Run as Administrator" right mouse ... Currently I have Windows Vista UAC turned off, therefore not sure, without ... which I ususually solve by Importing all the objects into a clean ADP, ... although frequently that also gets an Unresponsive error as well. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)