vista - windows defender won't update

Hi, I have Vista home premium, My Windows Defender won't update, on the
notification it shows the castle wall with "!" mark. when I go into Windows
Defender, it says "! Check for new definitions." When I click "Check for
updates now," the button just blank out for 10-20 seconds, then it blanks on.
No update or anything, is there a fix to this problem?

NOTE: I have tried "Windows Update error 0x80240029 occurs when you try to
update Windows Defender" -> "Method 2: Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
" But it didn't work.

Message posted via

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Anti virus application turns off
    ... I turned on Windows defender and that turned off. ... Download and run the respective Removal Tools and try to get a refund: ... If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, ... Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom ...
  • Re: Serv-u
    ... Windows Defender can be installed on both Windows XP and Windows ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. ...
  • Re: Windows Defender Question
    ... Another user just informed me that I'm posting in HTML, ... Microsoft Windows MVP ... I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in addition ...
  • Re: Windows Defender Question
    ... Microsoft Windows MVP ... "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message ... I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in addition to ...
  • Re: Why is IE 6 constantly freezing?
    ... Windows Defender and/or Spybot Search & Destroy ... the following files will be included in this error report: ... Or go to this article - Description and Availability of Internet Explorer ...