vista - windows defender won't update

Hi, I have Vista home premium, My Windows Defender won't update, on the
notification it shows the castle wall with "!" mark. when I go into Windows
Defender, it says "! Check for new definitions." When I click "Check for
updates now," the button just blank out for 10-20 seconds, then it blanks on.
No update or anything, is there a fix to this problem?

NOTE: I have tried "Windows Update error 0x80240029 occurs when you try to
update Windows Defender" -> "Method 2: Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
" But it didn't work.

  • Re: Anti virus application turns off
    ... I turned on Windows defender and that turned off. ... Download and run the respective Removal Tools and try to get a refund: ... If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, ... Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom ...
  • Re: Serv-u
    ... Windows Defender can be installed on both Windows XP and Windows ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows Defender Question
    ... Another user just informed me that I'm posting in HTML, ... Microsoft Windows MVP ... I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in addition ...
  • Re: Windows Defender Question
    ... Microsoft Windows MVP ... "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message ... I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in addition to ...
  • Re: Why is IE 6 constantly freezing?
    ... Windows Defender and/or Spybot Search & Destroy ... the following files will be included in this error report: ... Or go to this article - Description and Availability of Internet Explorer ...