Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

"Dave T." <davey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:jkZAk.1098$c45.775@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alas, 'tis the same for me. I use T-bird, but regardless of what reader I use the news server is provided to me through my ISP, and a log on is required to access it. They don't want to give the news server for free, it is only for subscribers.

Interesting. In the UK, if you are accessing the internet through a particular ISP, which always involves log-in credentials, the ISP assumes you ARE a subscriber, and thus does not require a separate log-in for the news server....way to go USA!

  • Re: Newsreaders
    ... Some ISPs might not give their customers a free news server. ... newsgroups that I wanted to read that were available on Bellsouth's news ... read/post from/to the newsgroups allowed by your ISP - if you are using ... ISP providers DO NOT focus attention on newsgroups. ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3
    ... I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), ... If I get netscape as my ISP could I use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T. ... Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news server in OE accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: OT - P2P
    ... Most people will send such logs to /dev/null after a few days. ... There are many legal P2P downloads available, ... the ISP is responsible for them. ... Oh, BTW, sorry, but monitoring news server use is exactly the same as web ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3
    ... I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), ... If I get netscape as my ISP could I use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T. ... Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news server in OE accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Problem adding Newsgroups to OE
    ... | but on Outlook Express it says the server could not be found, ... You must set up your newsreader to use the news server provided by your ISP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)