Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

Coogee wrote:
Just another part of the mystery.

"FromTheRafters" <erratic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eVc8MLoGJHA.3548@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"verify that both username and password are correct for your mail
server".

Why is it asking about a mail server when you are
trying to configure a news server connection?

Alas, 'tis the same for me. I use T-bird, but regardless of what reader I use the news server is provided to me through my ISP, and a log on is required to access it. They don't want to give the news server for free, it is only for subscribers. I have the option of using any server I want outside of my ISP, but I would likely have to pay extra for it.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito, Emporer of Japan

  • Re: Newsreaders
    ... Some ISPs might not give their customers a free news server. ... newsgroups that I wanted to read that were available on Bellsouth's news ... read/post from/to the newsgroups allowed by your ISP - if you are using ... ISP providers DO NOT focus attention on newsgroups. ...
    (rec.crafts.woodturning)
  • Re: OT - P2P
    ... Most people will send such logs to /dev/null after a few days. ... There are many legal P2P downloads available, ... the ISP is responsible for them. ... Oh, BTW, sorry, but monitoring news server use is exactly the same as web ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3
    ... I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), ... If I get netscape as my ISP could I use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T. ... Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news server in OE accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3
    ... I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), ... If I get netscape as my ISP could I use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T. ... Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news server in OE accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Problem adding Newsgroups to OE
    ... | but on Outlook Express it says the server could not be found, ... You must set up your newsreader to use the news server provided by your ISP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)