Re: Zonealarm

I cannot figure out what that built-in Vista FW is good for.
All incoming connections are blocked by the router anyway,
and, I heard, that software FW are not as secure as hardware.
But what I really need is control over outgoing connections.
I hate when applications connect to the Web behind my back,
gobble up my net bandwidth, report on my usage patterns,
download and install upgrades without my approval, etc.
So, I used ZoneAlarm for years, but, alas, it is not available
on Vista 64. For now I switched to Comodo. It is much harder
to configure, but appears to be more flexible.

--
jhnlmn

  • Re: Zonealarm
    ... I cannot figure out what that built-in Vista FW is good for. ... All incoming connections are blocked by the router anyway, ... are "protecting" - this is not really a firewall's function. ...
  • Re: Configure VPN Server for XP?
    ... Go to Help and Support and search on the topic "incoming connections." ... interface to allow the VPN on--it automatically allows it on all interfaces. ... You then need to forward ports appropriately through the router. ...
  • Re: VPN Help...
    ... > work settings, then i get my ip showing up on my firewall log that it's ... >> log which will show incoming connections? ... >> you're even making it to your router. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: ip address through router (XP Pro)
    ... then enter "Netmeeting - IP address through router" in that search box. ... proper ports for incoming connections when an unsolicited call is received. ... It is hard because of the nature of NAT routers. ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)
  • Routing internal access to public IP back to internal net
    ... Let the router have an internal IP 192.168.1.1 on which it is connected ... The client and server are both in the 192.168.1.0/24 network, ... port forwarding for incoming connections on port 993 to 192.168.1.SRV:993. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)