Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

Coogee wrote:
New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK, the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the correct info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups. Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. Tried turning all the windows security options off that I could find, but still can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?

Contact your ISP (or the whomever is hosting the news server to which your trying to connect) to ascertain the correct settings for logging into their server.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

  • Re: How to send NNTP "cancel" message?
    ... "Outlook Express" does all newsgroups on all your news accounts. ... canceled messages appear on the Google Groups server. ... How to send NNTP "cancel" message? ... Messages can be canceled by the news server administrator or server ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... When I try to initially download the newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with repeated prompts asking for the credentials. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... You were given information about how to go to the account itself on WM, Outlook or whatever is being used and entering the credentials again typing over the existing credentials and doing send/recv of email or post/read on NNTP until the credentials hold. ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ...
  • Re: posting problems STILL!
    ... It varies from news server to news ... > reducing the number of newsgroups, splitting the message and newsgroups into ... Bellsouth customer service tells me to contact Microsoft, ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. ...