Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

"Coogee" <coogee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uWYqB6TGJHA.3664@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK, the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the correct info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups. Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. Tried turning all the windows security options off that I could find, but still can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?

Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with repeated prompts asking for the credentials. You can be posting and it will loose the credentials too, and it starts prompting.

The best way to fix this is to shutdown the newsreader, start it up again, go to your account and give the credentials there to see if they will hold permanently.

I have seen this problem on Vista for Outlook and POP3 where the credentials are lost, and it keeps asking for the credentials and never holds, until one goes back to the account to fix it.

  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... When I try to initially download the newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with repeated prompts asking for the credentials. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... You were given information about how to go to the account itself on WM, Outlook or whatever is being used and entering the credentials again typing over the existing credentials and doing send/recv of email or post/read on NNTP until the credentials hold. ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. ... up OK in the account screens. ... repeated prompts asking for the credentials. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. ...