Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

Coogee wrote:

New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up
OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the
newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to
log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password
are correct for
your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK,
the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the
correct
info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups.
Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server
setup. Tried turning all the windows security options off that I could
find, but still can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?

Which newsgroups and which NNTP server? If you are talking about one
provided by your ISP, then go to the ISP's website and double-check what
authorization is needed. It sounds like you aren't using the correct
information. For instance, my ISP (Comcast) uses a different authentication
for newsgroups than for email.

It would also help if you told us what newsreader you're using (Windows
Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... When I try to initially download the newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with repeated prompts asking for the credentials. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... You were given information about how to go to the account itself on WM, Outlook or whatever is being used and entering the credentials again typing over the existing credentials and doing send/recv of email or post/read on NNTP until the credentials hold. ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ... Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. ...
  • Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
    ... " Coogee" wrote in message ... Now I have the same problem on my MAIL server, ... So now I can't get mail or newsgroups. ... All is set up OK in the account screens. ...
  • Re: How to send NNTP "cancel" message?
    ... that selects the newsgroups to apply to. ... Most of the canceled messages appear on the Google Groups server. ... How to send NNTP "cancel" message? ... Messages can be canceled by the news server administrator or server side ...