Re: 3rd Party Firewall

JamesJ wrote:
I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?

Thanks,
James

You should only have one anti-virus program and 1 firewall program running at one time.

Defender is not a firewall program.... The descrioption is:

"Scan your computer for unwanted software, schedule scans, and get the latest unwanted software definitions."

BTW, I disabled the Windows Defender service with no consequences....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

  • RE: How to stop spawing IE windows after exiting Control Panel & E
    ... Presumably due to the layered firewalls (NetGear on router and ZoneAlarm Pro ... NetGear Router firewall), only one virus has shown up, been ... I would run some app like Windows Defender. ...
  • Re: Norton Internet Security 2005
    ... Being behind a router doesnt negate the need for a Firewall, ... Windows Defender is not enough, SpyBot & Adaware are free but you have to ... My system runs and loads so much faster. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: How to stop spawing IE windows after exiting Control Panel & E
    ... Presumably due to the layered firewalls (NetGear on router and ZoneAlarm Pro ... NetGear Router firewall), only one virus has shown up, been ... IE Tools menu, Options, General tab "Accessibility" button, uncheck 'format ... I would run some app like Windows Defender. ...
  • Re: Slow System
    ... We use ISA firewall clients so using two firewalls can cause issues. ... never did like auto updates as Windows does come out with updates that do ... I'm running Windows Defender and IE7 on my own machine with now problems. ...
    ... "Jennifer W" wrote in message ... My next thought is to get rid of Norton and see if that helps. ... Also I forgot to mention that if I try to view Windows Firewall status from the Control Panel, it says it cannot do this for an unexplained reason. ... I'm running Windows Defender and IE7 on my own machine with now problems. ...