Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?

I've traced the error through event logs in Event Viewer. This is what I am
consistently getting for one user only. The remainder of users have correct
H&S processing.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event";>
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Help"
Guid="{de513a55-c345-438b-9a74-e18cac5c5cc5}" />
<EventID>2004</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>8</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>1082</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="6340" ThreadID="5616" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Help/Operational</Channel>
<Computer>Mike-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1532843357-3711708830-5164668-1000" />
</System>
<EventData />
</Event>

"Mike" <lagunasrfr@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e3MMGEZAJHA.4064@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I posted this in General, but got no response. I have a little bit of updated findings to post here.

If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly.

However, when I run it from my primary user/administrator sign-on, I just get text text (looks like text from an .h1s file).

I have googled for days and the closest I can find to a solution refers to Server 2003 and XP. I can't find anyone with this problem. I can't find a "Help and Support" services entry like there was on XP. The only program I can find is HELPPANE.exe and I have changed and rechanged permissions until my fingers are sore.

The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer (free download), it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. "Builtin/Administrators" shows a "mandatory" flag when I run as Administrator or any new user I create.

I don't have malware. I don't have a restore file that goes back as long as I have had the problem. I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. I still cannot get the thing to work.

It appears that the H and S service is not running. But I can't even find a service to run manually to test.

Please help.

Thanks

  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. ... I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. ...
  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. ...
  • Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as ... I don't have a restore file that goes back as long as I have had the problem. ... I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. ...
  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... Ten days - and five of your posts - without a ... Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run ... "mandatory" flag when I run as Administrator or any new user I create. ...