RE: Windows Defender Updating Problem

Same problem; also started with Mid-August updates. Any clues from Microsoft
would be most welcome.

Another symptom since the updates is that the PC will not reliably awaken
from "sleep".

Tried restoring to date prior to updates but both symptoms persist.

"Eric Post" wrote:

A couple of days ago I noticed a windows defender icon in my tray. It has
what appears to be an ! on it. So I clicked it.

It says to check for updates now, so I do. It comes back as no updates
available.

So I go to Windows Update, all my updates there are applied and there are no
new ones available.

So I click the icon for Windows Security Center, it says Defender is running
but out of date, next to it, it says "update now." So I click button and it
looks and comes back saying "no new updates available"

What's going on? Why is the icon in the tray? I'm running a 32bit version of
Home Vista Premium that is not on any network. It's strictly home use.

Is there another reason the Windows Defender Icon is in the tray? I've never
seen it there before.

  • Re: Can not roll back to media player 10 from 11
    ... missing/damaged updates that could be fixed individually. ... The MS validation tool can be uninstalled using Add or Remove programs. ... Reinstall it from Windows Updates. ... asking for validation of Windows but the "validate" icon does not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Can not roll back to media player 10 from 11
    ... I have run belarc and have downloaded the security updates ... The MS validation tool can be uninstalled using Add or Remove programs. ... Reinstall it from Windows Updates. ... asking for validation of Windows but the "validate" icon does not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • RE: Automatic Updates
    ... also include your Windows version, SP-1, 2... ... the updates icon appears at the bottom right of my ... And the icon stays ... > there until I click on it to start installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Strange thing when shutting down
    ... Turnoff to install updates or click on this to install without turning off". ... I had just finished running the Windows Update Program to download some ... No such icon now appears on the taskbar. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: icon that wont go away
    ... a new icon has appeared in my notification area that claims to ... > down it will automatically install the updates. ... Clean Boot in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)