RE: Vista Firewall

Windows Firewall is what you need for your computers.

If you were to get a 3rd party Firewall, you would be asked whether to
"allow, disallow, this time only, all the time, etc", for any internet
actions that your Programs initiate..

As you have said, you want something that is easy to use, and works!
Windows Firewall "knows" the answers.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"AliceZ" wrote:

We have just received a new notebook with Vista Premium sp1 installed. Is the
Windows Firewall sufficient to protect incoming/outgoing information?
Some people have told us Yes; others have said No.

We are senior citizens and very unfamiliar with computers and firewalls, etc.
If the Windows Firewall is not sufficient, is there a FREE firewall that
someone could suggest to use as a substitute firewall? One that would be easy
to install and configure, as we don't know anything about firewalls, etc.
Thanks for any assistance.
Alice

We are using Verizon DSL that is connected to our desktop which has WinXP.
We are using modem/router and the notebook is connected wirelessly (I believe
that is what it is called) to it.

  • Re: Problem after upgrading to SP2
    ... IDs with passwords is my Win2k machine and we can access that machine w/o ... >> Did you check to see if all the computers are part of the same ... >> network - not too sure it the Windows Firewall has this, as I use ZA Pro, ...
  • Re: User account restriction error accessing a shared folder on my net
    ... > I have two computers both running WinXP. ... > Everything was going well until I installed SP2 on one of them. ... Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. ...
  • Re: Error while using others programs
    ... >> the Windows Firewall Control Panel applet and click on the Advanced ... Steam from two XP computers here. ... however, in order to pinpoint the troubleshooting, ...
  • Re: Home Networking Problem
    ... >>>Hi I am running 2 computers with WinXPPro on them both hooked to a Belkin ... >> Are you running McAfee Personal Firewall and Windows Firewall simultaneously? ... >> deactivate - you can't run two firewalls simultaneously. ...
  • Re: Problem after upgrading to SP2
    ... > Did you check to see if all the computers are part of the same ... > network - not too sure it the Windows Firewall has this, as I use ZA Pro, ... This is the windows firewall and the local subnet is enabled. ...