Re: Security discussion regarding hubs, firewalls, anti-virus and VistaSecurity

My take is as follows; Protect myself from crawling threats on the
internet by a dedicated firewall, protect myself from software threats
with antivirus/malware protection. If those two factors are properly
setup, all other securitymeasures are redundant and wastes resources.
Perhaps I suffer from a 1% higher risk of infection over a period of a
few years, but it doesn't seem so this far. I have disabled all the
securityfeatures of windows, because I don't see a need for them. I
wouldn't do this to a systemcritical computer or if I had sensitive
information on the computer though, but this is a computer for games and
internet... If it goes down, I reinstall it (hasn't happened yet...).

Linux firewalls are free and safe enough to use for business if setup
with the right knowledge.

Most new routers come with SPI (stateful packet inspection) which only
accepts incoming traffic from servers you sent outgoing traffic to, and
that's usually enough for protection at home.

--
mike-cow

  • Re: My words
    ... Internet Connection Firewall for SP1 and Windows Firewall for SP2 ... download all the security updates - Critical updates with Express ... Get into Safe Mode and password protect it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • My words
    ... There are some malwares that can destroy the internet connection ... download all the security updates - Critical updates with Express install. ... Get into Safe Mode and password protect it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Beating Up On Microsoft...
    ... > While everyone is busy beating up on Microsoft... ... > It might be a good idea to look at the Internet as a whole. ... > Verifiable Certificate to properly identify the owner. ... > of Authentication, Encryption, etc. to protect the communication. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: spyware/ virus protection for new user
    ... I do not believe that this computer has any spyware or virus ... > what to use for a Dell PC, used at home and using Windows XP? ... you have a cable/DSL router to protect your shares from Internet access. ...
  • Re: somebody please help me
    ... Protect your PC! ... >All critical operating system updates recommended ... >activated before going on the Internet, ... >looks like i have gotten averything there is to mess up ...
    (microsoft.public.security)