Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?

See this string in the "TechGuys" forum. It looks like the same problem: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=736895&goto=newpost
"Mike" <lagunasrfr@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e3MMGEZAJHA.4064@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I posted this in General, but got no response. I have a little bit of updated findings to post here.

If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly.

However, when I run it from my primary user/administrator sign-on, I just get text text (looks like text from an .h1s file).

I have googled for days and the closest I can find to a solution refers to Server 2003 and XP. I can't find anyone with this problem. I can't find a "Help and Support" services entry like there was on XP. The only program I can find is HELPPANE.exe and I have changed and rechanged permissions until my fingers are sore.

The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer (free download), it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. "Builtin/Administrators" shows a "mandatory" flag when I run as Administrator or any new user I create.

I don't have malware. I don't have a restore file that goes back as long as I have had the problem. I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. I still cannot get the thing to work.

It appears that the H and S service is not running. But I can't even find a service to run manually to test.

Please help.

Thanks

  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. ... I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. ...
  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as primmary user/administrator. ...
  • Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... If I run Help and Support as Administrator or if I create a new user and run from it, Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... The only thing I can find that is different is in Process Explorer, it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run as ... I don't have a restore file that goes back as long as I have had the problem. ... I have uninstalled tweaks and freeware/purchased utility programs. ...
  • Re: Vista Help & Support - Permissions Problem?
    ... Ten days - and five of your posts - without a ... Vista Help & Support runs perfectly. ... it shows "Builtin/Administrators" with a deny flag when I run ... "mandatory" flag when I run as Administrator or any new user I create. ...