Re: Run As Adminstrator - why hasn't it saved us?

Your question, seems more an indictment than a genuine question. My comment, much as yours, is offered as an opinion or view, except from an administration point of view, no disrespect intended or hidden agenda. The fact that development is hindered by having to respect secure calls should be a warning to development that your intended audience will similarly be affected. Business as usual, shortcuts and all is not acceptable in Vista. Just as users are having to deal with a more secure environment, seems development is going to have to learn a new way building code.

As I'm sure you already know, Vista Home(?) is built with the intent of servicing less knowledgeable consumers/users. Further it is intended to run, seamlessly without use of administrator, due to its limited target user.

Back on topic, I continue to find it strange when the biggest historical complaint against Microsoft client OS's has been lack of security, yet when it finally assumes a much more secure posture, the reward is more complaints about it being "too" secure.

I would expect, that if developers complain enough, Microsoft may take a step toward making a developers version Vista with all the offending safeguards removed. However, I would expect it would lengthen the test cycle, since at some point the code must run in the real world of the ultimate consumer.

Bottom line - You can turn UAC off. If you are the administrator, why would you need "run as"? It does not seem logical to want the rights and not want to accept the responsibility.

Power user had been inactivated/removed, since W2K/XP/XP-Pro, when client is installed on a domain...hasn't it?

"riix" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e100bf9a5d61a24164a35762cccd0b06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To all that replied - thanks for your comments and no disrespect
intended please, but seems we missed the issues:

1) when attempting to run as a Power User, the "RunAs Administrator"
seems to be completely wrong in concept, yet has been around since ..
NT3? Can this really be? Or am I totally not understanding how its
supposed to work?

2) Why does disabling UAC also disable "RunAs.." - again: these are
totally different concepts, why are they coupled?

3) UAC is _not_ a minor inconvenience, it is a *major* hassle for
members of a development shop. Its not just a click. Its the constant
jarring effect of the screen going dim (or even black) for a second or
two, the box, the click, the blink back to reality, then a few seconds
later .. Event Viewer, IIS Admin, SQL studio, etc.

Doing this, maybe 30-40 times a day? When XP just worked?

And all this because the Vista product, and Microsoft narrow-mindness,
won't allow me to work in a more intelligent fashion - which is: as a
Power User and *not* as an Administrator?

4) and maybe that's a bottom line - why does Vista install and create
its users as Administrators? A while ago my son bought a new Acer
computer with Vista Home Exceptional (or whatever its called). First
thing I did was create an Adminstrator id, write the password on his
monitor, then downgraded his ID to Normal User. He's now been using it
for over a month and HAS NOT EVEN NOTICED he's not an Administrator,
that is, it hasn't affected him at all.

Why doesn't Vista do this by default ?

5) I've just found references to "UAC Manifest" files - does anyone
have real, honest, practical experience with this as a way of calming
UAC?

Cheers.

--
riix

  • Re: Can Vista be "locked down" ?
    ... supplied by Vista. ... "Administrators group-Members of this group run as standard ... they require access to an administrator password to do ... instead of IE - it's much more secure. ...
  • Vista "complaints"
    ... Recent misconceptions about Vista and UAC posted to the Focus-Apple group, ... administrator, and combined with the many configuration options Vista ... that Win XP gave her the ability to add permissions to her normal ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Can Vista be "locked down" ?
    ... questions regarding "locking down" Vista with the tools supplied by ... Standard users group-These are the least-privileged users, ... Administrator runs as standard user. ... instead of IE - it's much more secure. ...