Re: Run As Adminstrator - why hasn't it saved us?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:53:00 -0500, riix wrote:

To all that replied - thanks for your comments and no disrespect
intended please, but seems we missed the issues:

1) when attempting to run as a Power User, the "RunAs Administrator"
seems to be completely wrong in concept, yet has been around since ..
NT3? Can this really be? Or am I totally not understanding how its
supposed to work?

2) Why does disabling UAC also disable "RunAs.." - again: these are
totally different concepts, why are they coupled?

3) UAC is _not_ a minor inconvenience, it is a *major* hassle for
members of a development shop. Its not just a click. Its the constant
jarring effect of the screen going dim (or even black) for a second or
two, the box, the click, the blink back to reality, then a few seconds
later .. Event Viewer, IIS Admin, SQL studio, etc.

Doing this, maybe 30-40 times a day? When XP just worked?

TweakUAC for Windows Vista.
http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

And all this because the Vista product, and Microsoft narrow-mindness,
won't allow me to work in a more intelligent fashion - which is: as a
Power User and *not* as an Administrator?

Windows Vista Secret #4: Disabling UAC
"...you probably consider yourself a power user. You pride yourself in the
responsibility of having full and absolute control over your machine
environment..."
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2006/09/20/763275.aspx

4) and maybe that's a bottom line - why does Vista install and create
its users as Administrators? A while ago my son bought a new Acer
computer with Vista Home Exceptional (or whatever its called). First
thing I did was create an Adminstrator id, write the password on his
monitor, then downgraded his ID to Normal User. He's now been using it
for over a month and HAS NOT EVEN NOTICED he's not an Administrator,
that is, it hasn't affected him at all.

Why doesn't Vista do this by default ?

Speed Vista: Turn off UAC, or at least make it less annoying
http://www.pctipsbox.com/speed-vista-turn-off-uac-or-at-least-make-it-less-annoying/

5) I've just found references to "UAC Manifest" files - does anyone
have real, honest, practical experience with this as a way of calming
UAC?

Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista.

User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide.

How to disable UAC
http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-disable-UAC

  • Re: How I fix the Power User should allow install the application
    ... Administrator == for Administrator Server, ... Any Application Setup are allow for Administrator and Power User. ... want to allow installation, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Power User Vs. Admin
    ... An administrator is all powerful on the computer while a power user has ... application can be made to work if the user has the necessary permissions to ... the user that cause the application to fail and often these failures can ...
  • Re: Change from Administrator to Power user
    ... You could configure security permissions to reduce the administrative group ... administrative accounts to the power user group. ... > cannot create another user account so easily. ... >>> Why do you need to change a user from administrator to Power User? ...
  • Re: Run As Adminstrator - why hasnt it saved us?
    ... And all this because the Vista product, and Microsoft narrow-mindness, ... Power User and *not* as an Administrator? ... I've just found references to "UAC Manifest" files - does anyone ...
  • Re: Chenge from Administrator to Power user
    ... Why do you need to change a user from administrator to Power User? ... > How To Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP ...