Re: Run As Adminstrator - why hasn't it saved us?

To all that replied - thanks for your comments and no disrespect
intended please, but seems we missed the issues:

1) when attempting to run as a Power User, the "RunAs Administrator"
seems to be completely wrong in concept, yet has been around since ..
NT3? Can this really be? Or am I totally not understanding how its
supposed to work?

2) Why does disabling UAC also disable "RunAs.." - again: these are
totally different concepts, why are they coupled?

3) UAC is _not_ a minor inconvenience, it is a *major* hassle for
members of a development shop. Its not just a click. Its the constant
jarring effect of the screen going dim (or even black) for a second or
two, the box, the click, the blink back to reality, then a few seconds
later .. Event Viewer, IIS Admin, SQL studio, etc.

Doing this, maybe 30-40 times a day? When XP just worked?

And all this because the Vista product, and Microsoft narrow-mindness,
won't allow me to work in a more intelligent fashion - which is: as a
Power User and *not* as an Administrator?

4) and maybe that's a bottom line - why does Vista install and create
its users as Administrators? A while ago my son bought a new Acer
computer with Vista Home Exceptional (or whatever its called). First
thing I did was create an Adminstrator id, write the password on his
monitor, then downgraded his ID to Normal User. He's now been using it
for over a month and HAS NOT EVEN NOTICED he's not an Administrator,
that is, it hasn't affected him at all.

Why doesn't Vista do this by default ?

5) I've just found references to "UAC Manifest" files - does anyone
have real, honest, practical experience with this as a way of calming
UAC?

Cheers.

--
riix

  • Re: Run As Adminstrator - why hasnt it saved us?
    ... Vista is not an upgraded version of XP. ... I've run Vista with various kinds of UAC configurations. ... everyday with the administrator account sitting on the sideline in case I ... Power User and *not* as an Administrator? ...
  • Vista "complaints"
    ... Recent misconceptions about Vista and UAC posted to the Focus-Apple group, ... administrator, and combined with the many configuration options Vista ... that Win XP gave her the ability to add permissions to her normal ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Drive map problem SBS 2008 and Vista
    ... I'm waiting for an upgrade to one of our line of business software which currently requires Power User access. ... Vista doesn't really have power users anymore so who knows what kind of havoc that is causing. ... All the policy preferences and group policy settings work fine, except from the drive mapping. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Vista "complaints"
    ... Recent misconceptions about Vista and UAC posted to the Focus-Apple group, ... administrator, and combined with the many configuration options Vista ... run an installation file need to do so in admin mode. ... that Win XP gave her the ability to add permissions to her normal ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: 2003 Repair / Compact Problem
    ... I managed to compact/repair and build an ADE without incident several times ... Administrator" should have any impact. ... Currently I have Windows Vista UAC turned off, therefore not sure, without ... repair & compact my 2003 .adp files. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)