Re: Strange Registry Virtualization issue

"Emmanuel Stapf [ES]" <manus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
FromTheRafters wrote:
My understanding is that it reads both and presents a
merged view to the application with the virtualized keys
taking precedence over the ones in HKLM. If you want
to make HKLM take precedence - remove the keys from
the virtualized store and it should use the HKLM ones.

The issue is that there are no keys in the virtualized store, the keys are
only in the HKLM one. So I don't understand why he can't read the one from
HKLM.

In other words, make the virtual store keys in question
non-persistent and the HKLM will be used each time
because no virtualized version will be found.

I agree this is what should be happening, but it is not. Any hint on how
to debug this so that we can find the root cause of this behavior?

Sorry, no. You may want to contact Microsoft support
for this issue. This function is implemented in the kernel.
They may suggest that you rewrite the program so that
it doesn't have to use virtualization at all - which is the
best path anyway.

  • Re: Strange Registry Virtualization issue
    ... virtualization is enabled or not. ... will merge the content of the virtual store with the one in HKLM and it is ... clearly not doing that since my application cannot see the keys that are ... make the virtual store keys in question ...
  • Re: Strange Registry Virtualization issue
    ... merged view to the application with the virtualized keys ... taking precedence over the ones in HKLM. ... The issue is that there are no keys in the virtualized store, the keys are only in the HKLM one. ...
  • Re: Strange Registry Virtualization issue
    ... merged view to the application with the virtualized keys ... taking precedence over the ones in HKLM. ... The issue is that there are no keys in the virtualized store, the keys are only in the HKLM one. ...
  • Re: Windows Startup
    ... using F3 to find keys has never worked for me. ... >> thing that causes the System32 folder to open at startup. ... >> Right click hkcu on your Desktop and select: Edit | Select all the text ... >> Right click hklm on your Desktop and select: Edit | Select all the text ...
  • Re: HKLM and HKCU Priority
    ... HKCU is for user DSN definition while HKLM is for system DSN definition. ... | to never remove old keys from the registry but I ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)