Re: Windows hosts file and Norton (NIS 2008)

That is the fresh hosts file like you get from a fresh
install of the OS. Spybot apparently misuses the file
to effectively blacklist certain names by setting them
to the loopback address. NIS apparently likes to do
much more than I would like to have it do - if it does
as you indicate.

"Lazaruslong" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Today I noticed that when I run NIS 2008 security inspector (when going
on stage to check IP adresses) it just remove all entryes in hosts file
in Windows/System 32/Drivers/etc
However,when I run Spybot S&D it cretae new host file with over 8000
entries but when I run Security inspector it's just delete all entries
Is this normal?
Checking my image file created with Acronis Home (which contains ONLY
Windows Vista SP1 and no other software) I noticed that also hosts file
is empty too.
In both (image file and curent Windows Vista SP1) in hosts file (opened
with notepad) entry is this:

# COPYRIGHT (C) 1993-2006 MICROSOFT CORP.
#
# THIS IS A SAMPLE HOSTS FILE USED BY MICROSOFT TCP/IP FOR WINDOWS.
#
# THIS FILE CONTAINS THE MAPPINGS OF IP ADDRESSES TO HOST NAMES. EACH
# ENTRY SHOULD BE KEPT ON AN INDIVIDUAL LINE. THE IP ADDRESS SHOULD
# BE PLACED IN THE FIRST COLUMN FOLLOWED BY THE CORRESPONDING HOST
NAME.
# THE IP ADDRESS AND THE HOST NAME SHOULD BE SEPARATED BY AT LEAST ONE
# SPACE.
#
# ADDITIONALLY, COMMENTS (SUCH AS THESE) MAY BE INSERTED ON INDIVIDUAL
# LINES OR FOLLOWING THE MACHINE NAME DENOTED BY A '#' SYMBOL.
#
# FOR EXAMPLE:
#
# 102.54.94.97 RHINO.ACME.COM # SOURCE SERVER
# 38.25.63.10 X.ACME.COM # X CLIENT HOST

127.0.0.1 LOCALHOST
::1 LOCALHOST

Runed full system scan with NIS,Spybot and Kaspersky online scaner and
nothig found

I'm very confused,what's going on (or wrong)

Vista SP1 32-bit NIS 2008 15.5

--
Lazaruslong

.