Re: Help with firewall

"Malke" wrote:

arkitect wrote:

As Anand said, there are registry entries causing it to still show up in
Security Center. If I were you I would get into the habit of deleting
left over registry entries by searching keywords with 'RegSeeker'
(http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2579.html)

Simply search "McAfee" within RegSeeker and every registry entry still
left over will be displayed for you to delete. A backup will be created
automatically before you delete anything. Or you could do it Anand's
way and use the "Find" feature in regedit.

The advice from both you and "HappyAndyK" to use a registry cleaner is bad
advice. This is why:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 - registry cleaner thread

If the OP has really used the McAfee removal tool and the Security Center is
still showing bits of McAfee installed, here is how to fix it - easily,
with no third-party tools such as registry cleaners that can irrevocably
harm the system.

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again and reboot your system.

If the above doesn't work or if you get "the repository is consistent", do
the following from an elevated cmd prompt:

net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Malke - The net stop commands worked. McAfee is finally gone!!!! Thank you Elephant Boy!

  • Re: Computer has slowed way down
    ... memory cache 512 Kb secondary memory cache. ... I have McAfee Security system and recently ran a complete scan with no troubles found. ... Lots of advice to Clean my registry and lots more to beware of registry cleaners. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Starting a Systemwide App on boot?
    ... Why not use the registry? ... select the SYSTEM account when you define events in Task Scheduler. ... You'll have to use the 'at' command in a command shell. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: McAfee Virus Scan In Vista
    ... Despite the fact that I uninstalled the McAfee software correctly and have ... I've run a Registry Cleaner and, despite finding a couple of hundred ... Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. ... winmgmt /salvagerepository ...
  • Re: cleanup after malware/trojan/virus
    ... See if Start, Run, COMMAND works - it probably will. ... When you get into the registry, ... Highlight the Drivers32 folder on the left and observe the contents ... Specifically open the exported file with a text editor. ...
  • reply
    ... >tried deleting it from the msconfig Startup tool system, ... neither the listed name or command line name ... First, ME comes with a registry backup application, try ... folder temporarily by using attrib.exe: ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)