Re: Limewire file sharing

Irv wrote:
I have limewire and I cannot get through the vista firewall, I truely believe it is vista that is causing my problems as I have a lap top with XP that uses the same wireless network tha works just fine, I also have my daughters desktop using XP and it works fine. I have tried turning it off , allowinf the program etc I am at a loss.

If you are using wireless and more than one computer then you probably have a router. Linksys for example?

The router can forward ports, so if limewire wants port 22222 then you need to forward that port on the router - if you don't do that then you will see the same effect as if the firewall was blocking it.

Unfortunately routers may only be able to forward "One" port to "One" machine - in other words port 22222 forwards to machine 192.168.1.10 for example.

So you will have to tell limewire to use another port, 22223 for example and then forward that to your Vista machine 192.158.1.11 for example and add another entry to the router config.

You may have an easier option, to forward ports by program, name, this depends on the make / model of router, and you may not be able to mix the two methods.

See how the router is set up for the existing machines that work properly.

It may not be "Vista" per se, just the fact that it is the newest machine and the router is not set up yet.

  • Remote Assistance Troubleshooting
    ... Vista technologies which is so simple to use and troubleshoot that even my ... They are all wired directly to their router and their router wired ... Their router could be blocking the necessary inbound port. ... It will tell me whether or not my Windows Firewall is blocking and it will ...
  • Re: port scan shows ports not stealthed
    ... the change from stealth to closed? ... Was it the migration to Vista, the ISP, ... or the different Router? ... Device reports back that the port is closed. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Remote Assistance: Random ports in Vista
    ... I can get Vista and XP machines accepting and requesting RA without any ... set to forward port 3389. ... You should have your friend put the machine into the DMZ of the router, ... that have those static ports, if all you're wanting is to do gain access ...
  • Re: Remote Assistance: Random ports in Vista
    ... I can get Vista and XP machines accepting and requesting RA without any ... set to forward port 3389. ... You should have your friend put the machine into the DMZ of the router, if it has one, that exposes the machine and all ports to the public Internet, because you are not coming around the random port thing if the solution is behind the router. ... What that someone could hijack the traffic on that static port and take over control as opposed to it being a random port assignment that is hard to track? ...
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... So if 3389 needs forwarded on the client end too then that is what the ... Hopefully next week I can attempt a connection while my ISP watches the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)