Re: Firewall etc

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:f2ss74ho1ekm84mhl71l07ve4q2t786f52@xxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:01:58 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*a*m> wrote:

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Why would it be needed when I'm running behind a hardware firewall?

It's an added layer of protection. Firewalls are very good at filtering
inbound traffic. There is very little overhead involved. What if another
computer on your network gets infected with a network worm? What if a trojan
is executed on another computer that reprograms your router via uPNP? What
if your neighbour hacks into your wireless network? If you are always behind
the router and the router has a good firewall (most home routers have very
basic firewalls) then the risk of running without the Vista firewall isn't
that great. On the other hand the cost of the extra protection isn't that
much. It's just a very minimal amount of overhead.

If the computer in question is a notebook that may be used outside of your
network then it's imperative that the Vista firewall be enabled. When you
connect to a new network and Vista asks you if it's a public, home, or work
network, Vista changes the firewall rules to be appropriate for your choice.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

  • Re: Host Computer with ICS cannot be accessed
    ... You read my mind on the router thing. ... My home network is a piece of cake... ... >>firewall settings, not that I've found so far, but I'll keep looking. ... and we couldn't get file sharing working until ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main choice you have to make is whether to have the router include wireless capability or not. ... Because wireless routers for home use are relatively inexpensive these days, I'd suggest buying a wireless router even if you don't initially intend to use that capability. ... If you already have a UTP cable going between upstairs and downstairs, you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main piece of hardware you need to buy is a router. ... Because wireless routers for home use are ... you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
    ... the>outside world which are in response to packets originating from ... to drop in a little Trojan, your whole network can be compromised. ... NAT router works at Layer 3. ... You still need a personal firewall or ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: MSN WORKGROUP
    ... before my router is excess the folder very quickly suddenly it excess the ... Pls guide me how can i make it again this network. ... xp or firewall., secondly i can not find my wirefall optopn in control panel ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally ...