Re: Firewall etc

"Chappy" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:678d66473649f0292e558288ba35f829@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matousec ran a very comprehensive test of the available products for
Windows..
'Matousec Firewall Challenge'
(http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/)

Windows firewall in it's default state scored a rather dismal 5% but
does better with some advanced configuration, still not as good as
others tho.
Comodo scored the best for Free firewalls at 95% and is the choice of
many of the security pros here in the Forums. Some in the Newsgroups
here get rather "testy" when anyone mentions (God forbid) using a 3rd
party firewall...call them "Snake Oil" and the like, but Matousec's test
suite is very comprehensive and runs the toughest firewall attacks and
go-rounds available so I'll take their word over the ...ahem "other" guy
here who may come in and start bashing this post for Blasphemy.

If you think I was tuff on you, you post this nonsense to
comp-security-firewalls and let them rip you a new one. And I am going to
tell you again that Commode or any other 3rd party host based personal
firewall/packet filter are not FW(s). A FW's job is to stop unsolicited
inbound traffic by default, to stop inbound or outbound traffic by creating
packet filtering rules and two separate networks by the usage of two
interfaces with one facing the network it is protecting from and the other
interface protecting the network it is to protect. That's is their job. A
good 3rd party packet filter, I won't call them FW(s), but their job is NOT
to be malware detection/stoppage solutions with snake-oil in them.

The buck stops at the O/S for anyone that knows how to harden the O/S to
attack. The protection doesn't stop at some snake-oil solution that's trying
to protect *you* from *you*.

  • Re: How well does the Windows Vista Firewall work?
    ... I was going to look for a firewall program too, but saw that the Vista built in Windows Firewall took over that job. ... My desktop is hard wired to my router ... A router is a border device that sits at the junction point between two networks,the network it is protecting from usually the Internet and the network it is protecting the LAN. ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM Worm Propagation (fwd)
    ... Subject: [Full-Disclosure] ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM ... Once you turn on the packet filtering, you either allow all, or deny all ... XP's "firewall" has several pre-defined higher layer protocols that you ... communication from any computer or network system. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: 56k dial up on laptop 802.11G ?
    ... > "firewall router" or some similar conglomeration. ... must have at least two network interfaces, one for the network it is ... > A router is just something that glues two networks together. ... This is where I think a packet filtering solution or packet filtering NAT ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Linksys hardware firewall enough...?
    ... they reference the network layer. ... Or try a google web search for "network layer packet filtering". ... Your idea that a simple router with NAT is a firewall is wrong, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: FIREWALL CHECK
    ... at all (windows firewall). ... The job of a real FW, which I don't consider some 3rd party personal FW/packet filter or even Vista's FW/packet filter to be a FW is not to stop malware. ... A packet filtering FW router, FW appliance or host based software FW running on a secured gateway computer jobs are not to be stopping a malware program running on some computer. ... In either case, it must have at least two network interfaces, one for the network it is intended to protect, and one for the network it is exposed to. ...