Re: Firewall etc

Personally I only use the Windows Firewall and have found it more than adequate. McAfee and Norton I would not use they are system hoggers and, especially Norton, cause more problems than they solve.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

"jo5030" <jo5030@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:FD2CC28F-2836-48DD-9D2C-7D48BB8E1A99@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the MS supplied Firewall and
Defender offering when compared to other commercial products (such as McAfee
and Norton)? I use Norton at the moment, and it seems to me that if one is
offered through Vista for nothing, I may as well use it rather than pay for

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP SP-3 Wont Shutdown
    ... pop up and I can continue using windows as normal. ... or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee). ... If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there ...
  • Re: McAfee slows everything to a crawl.
    ... You're only getting one way protection with Windows firewall. ... McAfee asked me to remove Norton and the free firewall from Zone Alarm. ...
  • Re: Norton & McAfee "crapware"
    ... I was the biggest defender of McAfee ever since it appeared as shareware on ... Norton products makes one wonder if they are the best choice.. ... MVP - Windows Shell/User ... Neither> can I understand why anyone would trust antivirus Freeware. ...
  • Re: Boot.MeBroot virus,
    ... Norton says it can not get rid of it and McAfee ... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund: ... Ensure all McAfee application windows are closed. ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer loads extremely SLOW, PC makes distinct soun
    ... I never bought another antivirus ware until a couple days ago. ... NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP ... support Security Risk detection. ... This applies only to versions of Norton AntiVirus that support ...