Re: Possible UAC Improvement

In order to take advantage of what UAC was intended for
without it being a "nag" it should actaully be capable of the same thing.

Apparently Microsoft said it would undermine the purpose of UAC - it would be too easy for malware to put itself onto the "don't prompt" list.

or do we need to disable it like most posts suggest?

Absolutely not. Nobody "needs" to disable it. If you're using programs that generate UAC prompts they are BADLY WRITTEN and fail to comply with the XP programming guidelines (yes, I said XP, not Vista). The only exception is software which is designed to perform system administrative tasks, in which case you really should log on as an administrator anyway (and then you just get the confirmation prompt - a single mouse-click or left-arrow, Enter).

If you are using day-to-day applications which generate UAC prompts it's probably time to update them.

SteveT

  • Re: Logon Loop
    ... Boot the computer using the new bootdisk. ... This bootdisk uses NTFS4Dos follow the prompt and agree to its use. ... Your issue is caused by a malware infestation.. ... now in perpetual logon loop whereby I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Logon Loop
    ... This bootdisk uses NTFS4Dos follow the prompt and agree to its use. ... To replace your userinit.exe file type "Replace" at the R: prompt and follow the onscreen instructions. ... Your issue is caused by a malware infestation. ... > I'd identified virus before issue with logon loop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: CMD Problem
    ... screen just open and get closed automatically does not prompt. ... You probably have some malware on your system in the ... fake programs that start with "cmd". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • command prompt box appears whenever launch IE7
    ... Using xp home sp3 and just would like to know when whenever I launch the IE7, ... the command prompt box will appear for a split second (can see that there is ... Malware were done in Safe mode and the System Restore were turned off. ... It ok to surf once the webpage ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)